Forum update

Kataclysm speaks.

Forum update

Postby Kataclysm on Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:10 pm

I finally got around to updating the layout and color scheme a bit in the forum to make it more presentable. A couple of other forum updates:

1) Maximum avatar size is now 100x100 and 25000 bytes instead of 80 x 80 and 6144 bytes.
2) Trying to upload an avatar from your computer doesn't create an ugly error anymore.
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby Spike on Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:32 am

I never was here but before, but i want 2 congracualate u! It's the coolst site I ever sean!!! 8) :mrgreen:
Spike

Postby Kitty on Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:34 am

Spike wrote:I never was here but before, but i want 2 congracualate u! It's the coolst site I ever sean!!! 8) :mrgreen:

This site totally rocks!!! 8)
I love my friends and they love me!
Kitty

Postby GameBit on Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:59 pm

Would u make the avatar size more big?
ImageImage
Fear the Emperor!......thats meh :roll:
GameBit

Postby Kataclysm on Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:59 pm

GameBit wrote:Would u make the avatar size more big?

At this point I plan to keep the avatar limit at 100x100 and 50KB. Larger avatars can ruin the forum layout and/or be a distraction, especially for people with low resolution monitors (800x600 or 1024x768) and those who don't have fast internet service.
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby GameBit on Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:47 am

oh.......ok.......
ImageImage
GameBit

cool

Postby Elvin on Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:41 am

this site rocks nice 1!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Elvin

Postby Anna-Marie on Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:45 am

Do you pay to keep this site up, Kataclysm?
Anna-Marie

Postby Kataclysm on Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:52 am

Anna-Marie wrote:Do you pay to keep this site up, Kataclysm?

Yes I do. It costs about $137 a year for the hosting service. If it wasn't for the free bandwidth update this month the cost would have doubled to about $270 a year, or I would have needed to cut back on the number of videos and pictures on this site.
- KX:EP creator
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby GameBit on Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:17 pm

Kataclysm wrote:
Anna-Marie wrote:Do you pay to keep this site up, Kataclysm?

Yes I do. It costs about $137 a year for the hosting service. If it wasn't for the free bandwidth update this month the cost would have doubled to about $270 a year, or I would have needed to cut back on the number of videos and pictures on this site.

Wow..........it would be more easy to make a free one non?
ImageImage
GameBit

Postby Anna-Marie on Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:32 pm

Wouldn't a free one be unable to hold as much data as this one does?
Anna-Marie

Postby GameBit on Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:02 pm

Anna-Marie wrote:Wouldn't a free one be unable to hold as much data as this one does?

No......there r many with great space.............
ImageImage
GameBit

Postby Kataclysm on Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:06 pm

GameBit wrote:No......there r many with great space.............

I have not found any free web hosting that could handle the disk space and bandwidth demands of Kataclysm's. Most free web hosting plans offer 50MB or less of space and only a few GB of bandwidth. Kataclysm's uses 500MB of disk space and will use nearly 60GB of bandwidth this month.

Most free sites also force banner ads and/or popup windows. I didn't want random ads with annoying flashing banners cluttering up the site, or have windows popping up all over the place everytime someone visits.
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby GameBit on Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:45 pm

Kataclysm wrote:I have not found any free web hosting that could handle the disk space and bandwidth demands of Kataclysm's. Most free web hosting plans offer 50MB or less of space and only a few GB of bandwidth. Kataclysm's uses 500MB of disk space and will use nearly 60GB of bandwidth this month.

Most free sites also force banner ads and/or popup windows. I didn't want random ads with annoying flashing banners cluttering up the site, or have windows popping up all over the place everytime someone visits.

hmmmm....ya ur right.........but i saw some.........and i made one :wink: .........and it had like 200 mb or so.....bandwith......i dont know........and i dont like the popups..........but if u have a popup blocker.....it solves the thing :D
ImageImage
GameBit

Postby evolutionX on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:07 am

Kataclysm wrote:
GameBit wrote:No......there r many with great space.............

hehe,..........REALLY agree about popups window
You and me got a date pretty Kitty, how bout riding on a concete coaster!!

Really I got a date with you, oh that was wonderful, where should we go first

(becareful of what you say)
evolutionX

hellooo

Postby Dalia on Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:56 am

:D
Dalia

Postby Spike on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:28 am

But there can be the posability to have youe own server, all u need is a crapy computer, not to good, and well, i dont really know, but my fathere used that once :D
Spike

Postby Kataclysm on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:48 am

Spike wrote:But there can be the posability to have youe own server, all u need is a crapy computer, not to good, and well, i dont really know, but my fathere used that once :D

I have set up my own server before on an old computer and it works pretty well. Unfortunately most ISPs (including mine) don't allow anyone to run a web server on a residential (home) account. Kataclysm's is popular enough now that running my own server would require so much bandwidth it would significantly slow down my internet connection on my other home computers.
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby Spike on Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:50 am

Kataclysm wrote:
Spike wrote:But there can be the posability to have youe own server, all u need is a crapy computer, not to good, and well, i dont really know, but my fathere used that once :D

I have set up my own server before on an old computer and it works pretty well. Unfortunately most ISPs (including mine) don't allow anyone to run a web server on a residential (home) account. Kataclysm's is large enough now where running my own server would require so much bandwidth that it would significantly slow down my internet connection on my other home computers.

Oh, ok :)
Spike

Postby Haverberg on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:05 pm

Do you have a paypal link?

I'm a bio mod for Bayville Rebooted, which is probably the oldest (5 years) X-Men Evolution role playing board still in existance. If you need to pass the hat, I'll ask around. Can't promise much but at least I'll kick in some.
Haverberg

Postby Kataclysm on Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:30 am

Haverberg wrote:Do you have a paypal link?
I'm a bio mod for Bayville Rebooted, which is probably the oldest (5 years) X-Men Evolution role playing board still in existance. If you need to pass the hat, I'll ask around. Can't promise much but at least I'll kick in some.

The generosity is appreciated but donations aren't necessary. The web hosting service is great and reasonably affordable as well so I don't mind covering the expense myself.
Kataclysm
Site Admin

Postby GameBit on Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:31 pm

Haverberg wrote:Do you have a paypal link?

i would kick in too......... :D
ImageImage
GameBit

Postby Kitty58 on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:38 pm

The best site EVER! :D :D
Kitty58

Postby Ahhh!!! on Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:41 pm

Lovely site!!!
Good work
As long as sites like this exist evolution will live.
And by the point i'm here to make a little of comercialization.
Simply want to teel you one young man made a RPG game of evolution, and he probably will need more players, and you are all fans of evo no?
if you want to check this is the place http://magneticevo.proboards50.com
Uh I can't wait for the 3rd and 4rth seasons or the UA II movie!!!
Ahhh!!!

Im sure you could find a more profitable way.

Postby mystique on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:11 am

Kataclysm wrote:Yes I do. It costs about $137 a year for the hosting service. If it wasn't for the free bandwidth update this month the cost would have doubled to about $270 a year, or I would have needed to cut back on the number of videos and pictures on this site.

If your providing an appreciated service you might aswell profit from it. If you gave a delivery address Id be happy to donate via mail(not via Pay Pal because Im only 13 and do not own a credit card. You could purchase a new server with all the donations. And honestly I think WB and MArvel should be sponsering you considering people like me only took such a great interest in X-men DVD's after seing the media on this website. Im sure given the popularity of this site you could find a way to enlist support from sponsors.
mystique

Next

Return to Announcements