a Drag

Talk about episodes and characters from Wolverine and the X-Men.

a Drag

Postby Roon on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:04 pm

I must say, I'm not a comic geek. I've read several UXM issues out of pure interest and that's it, basically. But I'll be as much objective as possible.

Currently I have two of previous episodes of the new X-Men show on my laptop that I've downloaded but never watched. Not because I didn't have time, no. I'd say the reason I haven't seen them yet is rather because I lost my interest in it during the first season.

After X-Evo, which had quite a big impact on me, I was eager to see the new show and it's concept, but right now it's a drag. Watching those episodes was more of a gained reflex, like drinking my cup of coffee every morning.

While some people might say it's faithful to the comics' storyline, which I frankly speaking don't know, that it's true to the original TAS, it's not appealing to me personally. Appealing like X-Men Evolution was.

In 2007, IGN ranked X-Men Evolution #6 of The Greatest Comic Book Cartoons Of All Time. This show was and currently is in Top 10, alongside with Batman TAS, Superman and Batman Beyond. I'm quite fond of the last three and DC stuff in general, actually. The creative team behind DC shows was an extremely successful collaboration between art director Bruce Timm and superstar scriptwriter Paul Dini.

What was the secret of X-Evo's success?

From IGN: 'X-Men Evolution alters the traditional mutant formula, moving some characters (Cyclops, Jean Grey, Rogue and others) into a teen age bracket while leaving some, Wolverine and Storm for example, adults. The older X-Men teach the younger members much as they do in the comics, but there is a rival group of mutants, known only as the Brotherhood, which typically causes trouble for Charles Xavier's students. Magneto eventually enters the storyline as does Apocalypse later in the series' life span. Despite its odd approach, the series works well; in some ways it's more appealing than the comic books. The new setting also allowed many more surprises that worked because the universe was removed from traditional continuity.'

I say that very few 'kids' cartoons show character development throughout a series. I really liked that in X-Evo they've developed all of the characters, good and evil, and have shifted the direction a few times, such as bringing in the mutant ostracism and the X-Men outlaw status. They do well with the cliffhangers as well. Always makes me want to watch the next episode to find out what's going to happen.

I don't mind X-Evo not sticking closely with the comics. What's the point of tackling the Phoenix Saga when TAS already handled it so well? I personally enjoyed the teen elements, being a teen myself and I think the show has done a good job of capturing the basic essence of each character. X-Evo Logan sounds much better and less forced than the TAS Wolverine. Scott McNiel is so much better as Wolverine. TAS guy's voice had a real 'metallic' edge to it and he sounded like he was hoarse half the time. And what's up with Logan being a leader in WATXM?

I like Goth Rogue. Her character is more complex on Evo than it was on TAS. X-Evo has Rogue pinned beautifully and she actually uses her powers right. In TAS they gave her flight and invulnerability (I know she got that in the comics) and she just went around droning stuff like "Hey sugar!" in that 'annoy-you-to-death' Southern accent.

Yet another observation. There're currently around 12 000 X-Evo related fan stories posted on FanFiction, that's second biggest amount in Cartoon section. I don't find any fan made websites (accept this one) dedicated to the new show, while I remember dozens of X-Evo related pages with bad design listed on Beyond Evolution.

This might be just my humble opinion on the matter, but I believe the above mentioned fact proves my point.

You'll say 'faithful to comics', I say fuсk the comics! I enjoy fresh and extraordinary approaches! :lol:

X-Evo was wonderfully written, the animation and voice acting were exceptionally well done, the characters design, personalization and dynamics were incredible.

There's a saying 'If you don't like it, don't eat it', that is why I have no intentions of watching the new show any more.

Anyway, I'm a bit drunk and not in a jolly mood.

Cheers.

PS: New Kitty is still cute, though :mrgreen:
<insert signature here>
Roon

Re: a Drag

Postby Spike on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:31 am

wow, u sure like to write when your a bit drunk :D

I don't know, its true that the new series isn't as captivating, but its not bad :- ??
(oh, x-men ultimate comics ruled, i liked them more ^_^ )
Spike

Postby Roon on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:54 am

Yeah, and apparently my written English is better when I'm drunk :D

It certainly isn't bad, I just don't enjoy it. And yeah, UXM was cool, I just got tired of it after Issue 18 or so :lol:
<insert signature here>
Roon

Postby Rogue Recruit on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:34 am

that was some review, i personally couldn't write something that long. (btw 20 and above is not a teen age). you have great sentence structure too which is amazing for someone who doesn't have english as their first language. i hope you don't mind if i share your frustration of the new show. i have ceased watching it as well and couldn't remember the last episode i saw, and i lost track.

you mentioned you liked rogue as a goth on evo. she was pale as well on watxm, but im not sure if she was goth. they never really showed much of rogue.
Rogue Recruit

Postby Roon on Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:15 am

She was definitely not goth in the new show ;) A bit of a combination of TAS Rogue and X-Evo Rogue.

Thanks for support and WRT your remark, I meant that I was a teen when I first saw X-Evo :D

Appreciate the compliment anyway. My written English might be OK, but I have an odd mix of accents and a really strange way of pronouncing letters 'V' and 'W' :lol:
<insert signature here>
Roon

Postby Spike on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 am

(now why does that remind me of vampires..... O_O')
Spike

Postby Rogue Recruit on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 pm

It reminds me of kurt, the x-evo kurt.
*drools
Rogue Recruit

Postby Roon on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:13 pm

(now why does that remind me of vampires..... O_O')

Maybe because you've met me in the middle of freakin Transylvania :lol:
It reminds me of kurt, the x-evo kurt.
*drools

Yeah, his accent was funny :D
Roon

Postby Rogue Recruit on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:08 pm

kurt is like a baby, if i were to meet him, i feel obliged to protect him. he's just too cute.
Rogue Recruit

Postby doomed_soul89 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I just hope the new series gets better once Jean is back in the picture, cuz right now the only 2 characters that have gotten a decent amount of spotlight time is nightcrawler and wolverine followed by cyclops (he got 1 episode) then Beast then storm, the rest like barely exist Kitty and Bobby took like 3 seconds to recruit and Kitty just gets a few lines here and there and everytime she's in a battle she just sorta stands there phasing through everything (Which I admit is entertaining as hell but still) and iceman has hothead remark and uses his power every now and then but that's it wolverine has like 7 episodes it's just ridicules, Evolution had a mix of the characters interacting and Logans solo missions were on screen for like 5 mins tops not an episode each, and Kitty had a ton of spotlight time in evolution, I actually think she had to most
doomed_soul89

Postby EvoPryde on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:56 am

In the beginning it was slow, but it seems to be spreading. I love the new Kitty, she's still awesome, so that earns this show major cool points for me.

I like Domino and how she has a spot in the show, and Quicksilver is finally getting some real air time. Even better is that Storm is getting some focus, which I adore. The further into the show they go, the more they're branching out and focusing on others. But let's face it, Wolverine is Marvel's most recognizable face, they're going to use him and put his character in everything - needed or not.
K a t h e r i n e "K i t t y" P r y d e; S h a d o w c a t
EvoPryde

Postby Vindellavon on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:47 pm

I actually thought the first three eps were the best eps, next to Battle Lines and Future X that is. It did lag out towards the middle a little, but I have to say, Guardian Angel was done quite well.

As for an overall grade, I'd give it a 8/10. I'm liking Domino's arc more and more, and loving the fact that the German's finally getting some shared screentime. Logan's everywhere, but Mystique's getting on my nerves for some reason. A bit lag-like somewhere during the Storm suggestions, but I'm loving all the Magneto and House of M moments. :D
Mordred
P.I.M.P from the beginning.
Vindellavon

Return to Wolverine and the X-Men