Young Adults by Looks;Children by Heart {This one is just something I thought of as I was watching Scooby Doo this morning.}

Young Adult by Looks; Children by Heart

Scott Summers yawned as he flipped the channel on the remote, he loosely grasped in his left hand. A cartoon show came on. He dropped his hand and leaned back, enjoying the show.
It had felt like weeks since the X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants engaged in a battle. This dark and gloomy Saturday was depressing and rather boring. Rain poured all Friday night and still drizzled that morning. Dark overhead clouds filled the skies with black and gray. Every now and then the sounds of thunder would echo through the mansion like a cannon sounding off.
“Like, what cha’ watching, Scott?” a female preppy voice asked from behind him. Scott jumped with startlement and immediantly changed the channel to a talk show.
“Uh, Regis and Kelly,” he gulped, trying to act cool.
“Really?” Kitty Pryde scoffed, snatching the remote.
“H-hey!” Scott started reaching to grab it, as he watched her push the jump button. The cartoon show peered back on. Scott slouched, now embarrassed.
“Sure looks like Regis and Kelly to me,” she laughed, throwing the remote back to Scott. Scott didn’t response, just stared at the TV.
“You can’t possibly tell me you never watched cartoons,” Scott cocked his head. Kitty didn’t answer, acting as if she didn’t hear him. “Kitty?”
“What?” She looked over. “Sorry, I had my mind on other things.” Kitty twirled her bangs around her fingers and slouched on the opposite of him.
“I said, you can’t possible tell me you never watched-”
“-cartoons?” she finished. “Well, yeah. Maybe once now and then. I like, never had the chance to watch them, you know. I was always busy.” Kitty suddenly had an interest to watch her feet. She felt Scott stare her way.
“Vhat stuff?” a young male voice asked behind them. Both Scott and Kitty jumped up to see a blue furred being behind them. “Voa! Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Kurt said, grinning. He hesitated as the two sat back down then he joined them. “I used to vatch Ghostbusters and Scooby Doo.”
“See Kitty? You don’t have to be ashamed of watching cartoons!” Scott smiled, knowing she watched them.
“Batman,” Kitty whispered. She looked up at Scott and Kurt. “I loved watching Batman.”
“I loved Batman!” Scott agreed, flipping to another channel. Carebears was just coming on.
“Hehe,” Kurt turned to tv. “I like Carebears,” Kurt blushed. Kitty giggled.
“You guys are a bunch of wimps,” a gruff voice spoke, startling the three.
“I’m fixing to put the tv in front of the stairs so I know who’s coming down!” Scott muttered, relaxing again. Logan sneered as he glanced at the tv. “Carebears?” He sneered again, then crossed his arms. “Flip that channel.” His voice was more of demanding then of asking. Scott pushed up on the remote. Thundercats came on.
Taking a sneak look at Logan, Kurt’s eyes sparkled. Logan was smiling at the show. “Ah. Ze big man himself does have a heart,” Kurt elbowed Kitty. She looked up and giggled. Logan snapped back to reality and grunted.
“Keep your mouths shut or you’ll wetter then ever,” he warned, starting to leave toward the kitchen.
“Like, why will be wetter then ever?” Kitty asked.
“Because I’ll make ya run outside and stay outside till the rain stops!” Logan disappeared behind the kitchen door.
“Grumpy,” Kitty rolled her eyes.
“No kidding,” Scott agreed. They watched the end of Thundercats and flipped back to Carebears for another show. “You ever wonder if the Brotherhood watches cartoons?”
“Ze Brotherhood?”
“That’s funny, Scott!” Kitty laughed. Kurt joined her laughter.
Scott didn’t answer. He didn’t think Logan would ever watch cartoons. “If they do, we have something in common.”
“We are, like, so nothing a like!” Kitty protested.
*~*
The coast was clear. No one was home except the Earthquake man himself. He made one last exhausted search then ran for the kitchen to grab a Coke.
“I hate coke!” he grumbled, searching for a Root Beer of something. Nothing. “Coke will do,” he popped the lid off and tip toed back to the living room.
No one was home. It got real lonely for Lance. He slouched far down in the cushioned couch, resting his feet on the ataman in front. Thunder roared outside, as the winds picked up.
Lance Alvers purchased an old apartment Raven showed him. It was decent. One bed room with a bathroom. Kind of small, but fit him. Even though the room was in his name, Pietro would come by at times and share the room. Since Raven was paying for the expenses, he couldn’t complain.
He picked up the remote and started flipping the channels. A cartoon flashed by, making him go back. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. A small smile crossed his face, as he sipped the coke.
*Cowabunga dude! Pass the pizza!*
Lance found himself grinning wider as he remember his childhood.
“I miss the turtles too,” a voice teased behind him. Lance threw his canned drink behind, as he jumped up. “Ah man! I just had this white shirt cleaned!” Pietro’s voice rang as he gave Lance’s soda back.
“Sorry man. You nearly gave me a heart attack! Ever think of knocking?” Lance placed the can down, watching Pietro’s eyes roamed back and forth from the tv to him. “Cartoon fan, eh?” Lance asked.
“Wha- what? No! No way man!”
“That’s why your eyes are practically glued to the set?!” Lance teased, sliding down into the couch. Pietro joined him.
“Well, I guess. I usta watch the turtles.” He blushed, turning his head.
“White and red make a nice pink on your cheeks,” he teased some more.
“Hey man! You were watching this show before I came in!” he snapped.
“Alright! Alright! Chill out.” The two watched in silent until a knock came from the door. Pietro grabbed the remote and changed the channel to a Wild Life show.
“Come in!” Lance called. The apartment door creaked open. Todd squatted as he blinked, soaked from the rain.
“Yo cheater! That race of ow-ers wuz suppose to be fair, if ya know what I mean,” he shook the water off his leg and hair, spraying the artificial plant near by.
“Thanks for watering my plant, Toady,” Lance nodded. Todd ignored him and shut the door.
“So, uh, wha’cha watchin’ yo?” Todd asked, sitting his wet self down between the two other boys. Todd was known for his body odor, but the body odor and rain together, was even worse.
“Hey Todd, do us the favor and sit down there!” Pietro coughed, holding his nose.
“Yo man, we can’t all be clean as a whistle.” Todd rolled his eyes and squatted below them. “Wha’cha watchin’?” He went for the remote, but Lance held his hand up before Todd could reach it.
“Lance over here wuz watching cartoons!” Teased Pietro, who had forgotten he was watching them too.
“Oh? Cartoons? At your age?” Todd bust out laughing, rolling his muddy clothes on the floor.
“Todd!” Lance’s voice raised. “My rugs!”
“Oops,” Todd stopped and squatted against the couch. Lance bit his last few words, not wanting to start a fight. He flipped the cartoon back on. “Ooo. Turtle power!” Todd’s eyes sparkled as he grinned wider.
“Hey Lance,” whispered Pietro, leaning over. “I think our little bud’s a cartoon freak as well.” Lance and Pietro snickered.
“Hey! I usta watch them, yo! Ain’t no crime!” Todd snapped.
“I can’t believe what I’m seeing!” a female voice called from behind. The three boys jumped. Raven, in her human self shook her head in disbelief. “High school boys watching kiddy cartoons?! What a disgrace!” She began to yell.
Lance quickly flipped the channel.
“Hey man, there’s like nothing else to do,” Pietro explained.
“No kiddin, yo.” Todd chipped in with a cheesy smile. Raven still scowled, but stopped suddenly and stared at the television set. Lance smiled as he stared her way.
“Want to join us?” he hissed, smiling. Lance’s hand pointed to an open chair.
Raven watched as the cartoon show, Pound Puppies, continued then snapped to reality. “No,” she rolled her eyes again. “I have better things to do with my time!” Raven pushed her fallen strands of hair behind one ear and opened the door. Rain still poured. With a slam of the door, Lance turned the show back to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
“Yo, you think those X-Freaks eva watch cartoons?” Todd asked, laying on the chair sideways.
“No way man!” Pietro answered. Lance didn’t answer, but sat in disbelieve of the thought.
“If they did, we’d have something in common,” he shuddered at the thought.
“No way man! We ain’t nothing a like!” Pietro snapped.
The End