Loves Finds A Way

Alexya Wilson watched as Lance Alvers walked passed the trees behind the school. Pietro Maximoff followed shortly behind, kicking the loose stones in his path. They were always going off, doing their bad-guy stuff. She clenched the sketch pad between her and her chest. Up ahead, a taller, slimmer looking woman, known as Mystique, leaned against the tree. A man stood next to her. Built like Logan, but taller and darker in appearance. Alexya climbed a tree, opening to a clean sheet. Her sketching became faster and neater as she hurried with their stance. She focused in on the taller guy.

"Boys, we have a little something for you," a deep voice from the man spoke. Alexya became more interested in the conversation, but still sketched. "I told you how important it was to have Rogue and now Alexya to our group. We need them both. Rogue has-," he turned to Mystique, his dark eyes glaring out of the helmet. "-unfortunately learned of our plans and of her past by-" his voice trailed off.

"So what do you want with us?" Lance spoke, leaning against another tree nearby. Alexya finished drawing the guy and started on Mystique. Her figure came easy with straight lines. The man lowered his voice, making the other three draw in closer. Alexya started leaning forward, unable to hear him. She started losing her balance, slipping sideways. Grabbing a high branch on the other side, Alexya pulled her weight over. Her sketching pad slid out of her grasp, making a slight crashing sound. Pietro turned his head.

"Did you hear something?" he straightened up. Lance nodded, walking toward the tree Alexya was at. She closed her eyes tight, hoping they would walk away. A couple seconds later, she heard Lance yelling.

"No! I can't! I'll find my own ways!" He stormed off, not turning back. Alexya glanced back over at the three.

"Keep an eye on him Pietro," the man hissed.

"What about me Magneto?" Mystique asked, crossing her arms.

"I repeat, keep an eye on him Pietro." He turned to Mystique. "I trusted you already with Rogue and we can tell how that turned out, can't we?" Magneto turned, floating in the air and soon disappeared. Mystique growled.

"Sorry boss lady." Pietro left, leaving a silver blur behind him. Alexya waited till they were gone, then quickly climbed down from the tree. She grabbed her pad and started back to the institute.

*~*

Scott exchanged books from his locker then slammed the piece of metal shut. He felt someone watching his every moves, but looking around, he didn't see anyone. The school halls were becoming empty, leaving him and a few stranglers in peace. Still, the feeling of someone.. He left the large building, glad to be in the fresh air again. Though the wind was chilly, the sun felt good. He squinted, seeing his best friend, Jean, in his car already.

"Hey there Scotty!" a fickle voice called out. Scott turned to see a brunette run his way. He was trying his hardest to avoid her, but little luck that got him.

"Hey," he flashed her a weak smile then started for his car again. She stuck near him, like a lost puppy. "Can I help you with something?"

"Well, yes and no. I was wondering if you understood anything our Trig teacher said?"

"Just the part where he said, 'have a good day.' Other then that, not really." Scott watched her as she let out a floozy laugh, lightly touching his arm.

"That's funny!" She giggled again. "So, uh, did you get the homework?"

"He gave us a worksheet."

"Oh that's right. I couldn't remember. I-"

"I gotta go. Sorry. My friend's waiting for me," he paused, gesturing to the red head in the car, "-and she'll have a cow if I don't going."

"Oh. Okay. I'll see tomorrow!" The girl flipped her hair, waving. Scott rolled his eyes. Why does she do that? Scott never did like her. Since middle school, that girl always liked him. Scott climbed in the car, sitting next to Jean. He felt her skin against bare arms.

"Sorry, I, uh, got distracted," Scott said, starting the ignition.

"I noticed," Jean replied harshly. Scott seemed surprise, but kept his eyes on the road. Jean didn't sound like his best friend. Her voice was different. It sounded aware of the other girl's intensions. It sounded jealous.

Jealous?! Scott shook the thoughts from his mind. No way!

Alexya crammed her Trig book inside her bookbag then started for the front parking lot. She thought of asking Scott for a ride, but wanted the walk. Her mind still wondered back from the day before. It made her more curious every time she saw Lance and the way he stared at her. It gave her the creeps. Alexya started across the parking lot when a jeep pulled up beside her.

"Lance?!" her voice gave her surprise attitude away.

"Need a lift?" he asked, putting the brakes on tighter.

"Well, uh," she hesitated, looking around. Alexya gripped her bookbag tighter. "Sure, why not." She climbed, buckling her seatbelt.

"Have any homework?"

"Trig and art. But nothing I can't handle." A long silence passed as the jeep made it's way to the front of the institute.

"Alex," he pulled over, behind the gate of the institute. "I miss you," his voice was shaky.

"You do?"

"Yes."

"Okay." She studied the floor, feeling his eyes stare her way. She moved her feet forward, stretching them.

"I know this is awkward. But, if you want- I mean, you know you can- uh, never mind." Alexya looked up in time to watch his eyes drift forward.

"See ya," she jumped out, shutting the door.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow," he muttered, still looking ahead.

"Yeah, thanks." She grabbed her bag and started for the main door. Alexya looked back, glancing at Lance. Their eyes met then quickly turned away. "He misses me?" she whispered, opening the door. She needed to talk to someone. Ahead of her, Alexya spotted Scott. He seemed busy about something.

"Scott?" Alexya called.

"What?" his voice seemed disturbed.

"I, uh, oh nothing," she muttered, walking up stairs. Alexya glanced at Scott, who was sitting on the couch. He didn't even look her way. She made her way to her room, hoping to find Jean. No one. Alexya knew most of the mutants were busy or out somewhere. But why today or all days? Alexya's heart ached. She wanted to be with Lance more then she thought. The way he blurted out she missed him made her heart thump harder. She would have to talk to him again.

Scott studied the blank television screen. He couldn't get over how her voice sounded in his car earlier. Her tone was something new. A tint of jealousy.

"Can't be." He couldn't imagine her jealous over a girl Scott didn't even like. "Could it be?"

"Be what Shades?" a gruff asked, from behind him. Scott jumped in startlement.

"What?"

"Be what?" Logan asked again, sitting with him.

"Nothing," he felt his cheeks burn.

"That's why you're blushing so hard, huh?" Logan had a way with words. He seemed so hard but inside that hard skull, laid an actual brain. And Scott knew it.

"Just something that happened today." He stopped, wanting to talk about it, but didn't.

"What happened?" Logan wasn't one that pried, but seeing Scott sulk, knew something was up.

"Jean, that's what happened." Scott glanced at Logan's confused face. "Remember that girl that used to follow me everywhere I went? Brunette hair, blackest eyes ever?"

"Oh yeah! How could I forgot? She never left your side. Followed you here one day."

"She was hitting on me before I was able to ditch her sight. I told Jean I got distracted, and her voice, the way she sounded was odd."

"Love?"

"No, worse!" Scott leaned forward, making sure Jean wasn't around. "Jealousy!" Scott looked at Logan. His eyes were big.

"Jealousy?" scoffed Logan, almost laughing. "No Jean."

"I didn't think so either.. but, but the way she responded."

"Have you talked to her?"

"I've been avoiding her. Don't even know how to act around her anymore."

"Trust me bub, talk to her." Logan didn't wait for a reply. He got up and left the room. Scott sighed, slouching deeper into the couch.

Jean threw the ball high, watching it carefully roll into the chained goal! A small grin crossed her face.

"Two points," she muttered, throwing it again. The ball made a landing, hitting the side of the rim. "Shucks, I missed. And that's why I don't play basketball," she decided, running after the ball.

The day was getting hotter by the minute. And too hot for her to play. She made her way to the large double doors, setting the ball to the side. The cold air on the inside, hit her face, refreshing her.

"Hey Scott! It's a torture out there!" she said, sitting on the seat next to him. Jean noticed the disturbed look on his face. "Scott?"

"What?" he asked, staring at the blank screen.

"That's a great show that's on. Turn it up so I can hear it," she giggled, lightly smacking his chest. Scott let out a forced laugh. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Really? For nothing, you sure are acting weird. Come on. Let's do something. Maybe go out for a shake."

"You mean, like a date?" he asked nervously.

"What?! You're serious?"

"You seemed pretty serious about that girl today," he muttered out loud.

"What girl- Oh. Her. Yeah, well, she just got on my bad side. Is that what's wrong? Because if that's the problem, then I think you ought to know me a little better."

"Yeah. I do you. And also know I'm thirsty. Are you coming or what?" Scott jumped up, heading for the door.

"Whatever," she mumbled, catching up with him.

*~*

On the stairwell, above the scene of Scott and Jean, Alexya made one last sketch. She was getting used to sneaking around and drawing the X-Men. Her sketch pad was nearly finished. Still, the thought of Lance made her wonder. She placed the art journal back in the bottom drawer then sat on her bed.

"I need to talk to him," she said out loud. Alexya quickly left the room, exiting down the stairs. The walk seemed long, but she finally made it to the tree she climbed up earlier that day.

"Well, well. What do we have here?" a voice spoke, startling her. She twisted around the see Pietro.

"I'm really getting tired of meeting like this," she coincided.

"Well, stop following Lance and we won't."

"I don't follow-"

"You followed him before to the construction sight. Give it up. You two just aren't meant to be."

"Jealous?"

"What?"

"You're jealous because there's not a single girl who would want to even see you!"

"I- I-" Pietro shut his mouth, unable to come back with a response.

"That's what I thought!" she said, crossing her arms.

"I'm not taking you to him," he said, leaning against the tree.

"Good." Alexya started walking off when Pietro called to her.

"You have a terrible way with words!" he sneered. "Lance is behind the school." Pietro looked up, meeting her eyes. "What?! I said he's behind the stinkin school!"

"Fine. Not like I said anything!" she rolled her eyes, passing him. Turning back, she saw Pietro still at the tree.

Behind the school, Alexya saw him talking to Mystique. She closed in, listening.

"Did you ask her to come?"

"No."

"I expect you to get her on our side!"

"Look Mystique. I have feelings for her! I won't hurt Alex. If she decides, so be it!" he sneered.

"Fine!" she stalked off, leaving Lance by himself. Alexya coughed, startling him.

"How long have you been there?"

"Long enough. That was really sweet," she blushed.

"Thanks. But don't thank me."

"Okay I won't. But now I'm here. Tell me, why did Mystique want me here?" Alexya leaned against the school way.

Lance wasn't sure how to react or what to say. "It doesn't matter," he finally said.

Suddenly, a dark shadow with light winds hit both Lance and Alexya. A dark figure filled the path. Alexya looked over at Lance, who seemed to know who it was.

"Lance?"

"Alexya, meet the one and only Magneto."

*~*

"Hello?! Is like anyone home?" Kitty Pryde yelled, walking down the stairs.

"What's up half pint?"

"Mr. Logan? I'm like glad someone's home." Kitty walked to the kitchen, where she found Logan reading the paper.

"Isn't Alex here?"

"No. In fact I saw her with Lance today." As she mentioned the word Lance, she gave a shuddering sound. "I don't see what she sees in him!"

"Me either."

"Is like Scott with Jean?"

"Yeah." There was a dead silence that followed.

"Well, uh, I'm going to go upstairs now." She glanced at Logan, flipping through the newspaper. "Yeah, so I'll talk to you later," she made her way up the stairs. Jean and Alexya's door was open a slight. Taking a deep breath, Kitty entered the room. She learned where Alex kept her sketch pad and was interested in what she drew. This'll only take a second, she promised, grabbing the pad. Kitty opened it to the first page. A sketch of a mansion, shaded just right with a car parked in front. Flipping through the other pages, her eyes grew big. One with Kurt ease dropping on her room.

"Kurt!" Kitty flipped the another page. Kurt again, was ease dropping on Kitty while she spoke on the phone. "I'll kill him," she promised, flipping the page. A picture of Lance smiling with hearts drawn around it. "Like, ugh!" The final page came to view. "Who's that?" The tall guy with a cape that Alexya had drawn with Mystique and Lance. Kitty wanted to show Logan but didn't. "No, I'll be accused of going through her stuff. She put the pad back and left the room.

*~*

"You mean you actually like that stuff?" Jean wrinkled her face. Scott sipped the coke again, then ate another onion ring.

"Why not? Want one?" He shoved it her face.

"No," she shuddered, pushing it away.

Scott set the onion ring down. He still couldn't get over the way she reacted around that girl. It was too weird.

"Scott?"

His mind wondered as he stared outside at the nearly empty parking lot. Sure he imagined them close enough to be best friends, but something deep inside him grew ever since the day at the parking lot.

"Scott?!"

Scott couldn't bring himself to say it. He stuck another onion ring in his mouth.

"Scott!" Jean's loud voice broke him from his thoughts, and making him spill his soda.

"Wha- what? Oh Jean, I'm sorry." He blushed, picking it up.

"What were you thinking?"

That I'm falling for you and I didn't even know it. "Nothing."

*~*

The night had come quickly, spreading its dark clouds over the mansion and bright white moon over the whole city.

Alexya slid a picture of the X-Men inside her book bag. She had a long talk with the one called Magneto. A serious talk. His words made so much sense to her. Alexya leaned back, watching the stars. She remembered the times she needed to talk and no one had the time. What if things were different with them? With the Brotherhood of Mutants. She'd have to find out.

*~*

Inside Scott's room, the restless teenager tossed and turned. He sat up quickly, sliding on his shades.

"This is so ridiculous! Why can't I sleep?" His mind wondered to Jean. "That's why." Scott sat some more. He was going to do it. First chance they were alone, Scott would ask Jean on a real date and express his feelings. Maybe.