Enemies and Heroes Don't Mix



It was quiet, in the large mansion. Only snores from the guys’ hallway and the wind from the outside was heard. Coming down the girls’ hallway and down the stairs, were footsteps. Light footsteps. A figure dressed in a large cloak with a hood, formally owned by Kurt Wagner, but this figure wasn’t Kurt. The figure made its way to bottom steps and quicken its pace over to the front door. A creaking noise came from the guys’ hallway, made the shadow freeze. Waiting, it sighed deeply and proceeded outside, passed the security cameras and to the front gate. Slipping out, it removed the hood piece.
The moon was bright and cast a bright white light onto the girl, her auburn, shoulder length hair whipping from the breeze and her green eyes so piercing with the moon’s light. Alexya Wilson, a young mutant, looked down the long street that would lead her to the construction sight where her curiosities were. Though, behind her, she felt the staring of someone superior then her. Turning, the young girl saw nothing but stillness, and darkness. Alexya turned back around and headed to construction sight. Once there, she knelt in the same place she met her challenger. The same place she could have been killed by the competitor but wasn’t. She held more of a staring contest then a battle. But would he come back? Was he also as curious as she was? A sudden chill broke her thoughts. A familiar chill. Surrounding her was a blur of silver.
"Pietro," she called quietly. The blur of silver surrounded her. "You can stop before I burn every piece of clothing off your body and leave you here to rot with your flesh peeling and-"
"Alright! You win." Before the girl stood a taller, thinner teenaged boy. His hair white and slicked back, while his eyes, dark from the night. "Why are you here?" He spoke quietly, almost a whisper.
"Probably the same reason you are here. And tell me, why are you whispering? Expecting company?" She returned, replacing her hood. Though her eyes hid inside the deep hood, his eyes pierced hers, looking for answers.
"Didn’t know if you’d come alone."
"Does it matter?" Alexya replied.
"Maybe."
"Do you see anybody around me?"
"No."
"Then I came alone. Now why are you here, may I ask?"
"A messenger."
"For whom?"
"I think you know." There was a silence after Pietro spoke.
"Take me to him."
"Why?"
"I want to see him. I, uh, have questions only he can answer," she spoke, her voice a tint of fear in it. Pietro hesitated then stuck his hand out. She looked at it then at him through the covering of the cloak. Pietro looked insulted.
"Do you not trust me?"
"After you and your groupies purposely tried to kill me and my groupies, you think I trust you? Would you have any doubt I would?"
"I guess not. Come." He stuck his hand out again. Alexya delicately placed her hand inside his, allowing him to close and hold on tight. "Don’t let go, whatever you do."
"Wha-" Her voice was taken away as she hung on for her life. Quicksilver was known for his name. Quick and left a blur of silver, noted Alexya. It didn’t take long, she realized. In an abandoned alley, Pietro stopped and released her hand. She replaced the hood, which had fallen off and looked around.
"It’s so dark. Where is he?" Alexya turned around to Pietro and grabbed his arm. "Come with me. I still don’t have too much trust in you." Was this worth the trouble just to see the boy she fought, thought Alexya. It was, and she knew it. Pietro reassured her and walked into the dark passageway with her at his arm. Alexya saw him. The moon scarcely presented a small outline of him. He was leaning against the brick wall, waiting.
"Leave." His voice deep, but in full command. Pietro nodded, shaking off the girl and departed. Alexya became overwhelmed with fear and determination. There was a silence while she stared at him, waiting for something to happen. Finally she spoke.
"You knew I was coming?" Alexya stepped closer to the shadow, grasping the brick wall with one hand.
"Wasn’t it obvious?"
"No." Alexya answered quickly, stepping closer to him. She was almost close enough to see his face. A long pause followed before she changed her mind. "I guess." Now in front of him, Alexya saw his complete face. He stared down at her, watching her remove the dark cover.
"Your eyes," he started but stopped and looked down. Alexya stared back at him, pushing herself off the wall, and closer to him.
"Lance Alvers, it is? Well, Lance, why didn’t you kill me today?" He looked up when he heard his name. She struck a nerve and was proud of it. "Today, you had the chance to kill me. All you had to do was stomp your foot. The building above me would have crumbled and then, then-"
"I would have never gotten the chance to meet you," Lance finished, his thick black hair moving with the wind. Alexya saw right through the fact he was covering. Lance Alvers was attracted to her. She knew and she also knew he knew it. But why was he scared to admit it. Whatever the reason was, Alexya promised herself till the day he was brave enough to admit it, she wouldn’t force it. Her hypnotizing eyes met his dark cold eyes. She realized nothing more was to be said. The night was growing and she was tired of standing and acting like she was Betazoid. (Star Trek- able to read minds.)
"It’s been nice. Jean is bound to wake and find me missing. I’ll see you in school tomorrow." She replaced the hood and turned her back towards him.
"To the left of the entrance is Pietro. He’ll take you back to the construction sight." Lance watched her walk to end of the alley. "Thanks for coming," he muttered then turned and left. Pietro was waiting, impatiently outside the entrance just as Lance had told her.
"It’s about time? You two necking in there?" He teased, offering his hand.
"No, not yet anyways," she smirked, taking his hand. Pietro looked at her, confused.
"It’s so obvious. Observe and listen once in a while. His voice gives it all away." She tightened her grip on his hand, waiting for "take off".
"You like Lance?" Pietro asked, walking with her into the open street. The question stunned her. Did she have a mere attraction for him?
"I don’t know." With that, Pietro left a blur, taking her back to the sight. They said they’re good byes and departed, going in different directions. As Alexya walked down the dark street, the question repeated over and over in her head. Did she like Lance? Does she feelings for someone who tried killing her? Alexya made her way to the entrance of the mansion. That question would have to wait for morning.

Scott Summers raised from his bed the next morning, reaching out for his shades and slipping them on. He took note how the sun wasn’t shinning and how terrible it looked outside. Dark and gloomy. Being the example leader of the mutants, he had to be on his best. Scott ran his hand through his dark brown hair.
"I hate mornings," he spoke. With so much time before school, the boy rose out of bed and slipped into his jeans and a white tee shirt. Already, the smell of breakfast was beckoning him to hurry. Brushing his hair, Scott smiled at himself in the mirror. A sudden noise from the next room was heard. Next door were the two youngest boys of the mutants, Evan Daniels and Kurt Wagner.
"I don’t care! I told you once already! Knock before you enter!" Evan Daniels yelled vigorously at his blue furred roommate.
"I’m sorry! You know I shower at seven!" Kurt Wagner’s blue tailed whipped furiously back and forth. He held his towel in one hand and his toothbrush in another. Staring hard at the frosted blond hair, Native American, who was half soaped and covered with a towel.
"Get a different time, elf!" Evan slammed the door in Kurt’s face, making him angrier.
"Maybe Scott’s not using his," he mumbled. Kurt popped over onto Scott’s side, terrifying him half to death. "Sorry Scott. I vas vondering if I could maybe use your shower." He grinned, his golden eyes portraying his mission in peace. Scott knew he couldn’t yell at the fuzzy elf for popping in to use the shower.
"Go ahead." Scott returned to brushing his thick hair. "But don’t leave any fur!" He yelled.
"Ja! Vhatever you say! You da man!" The door shut, allowing Scott to examine himself once more and disappear into the hallway.
Good morning, Scott, Professor Xavior smiled, sending a thought to Scott’s head. He wheeled his way down the hall. "Just checking to see if everyone’s awake. All the girls are up. How was your sleep? You slept well?" Professor Xavior’s bright blue eyes lit up as Scott took the bars of his wheelchair and started wheeling him down to the kitchen.
"Yes, very well. I think Kurt and Evan need to be separated. Maybe Kurt and I should bunk for awhile. Their timing on showers aren’t too well." Scott was silent for awhile as he entered the kitchen.
"Maybe," continued Professor. "Eat. I’ll check on the girls, again. They’re awake, just not active, yet." Scott chuckled, grabbing a plate.
Professor knocked on the first door of the girls’ hallway. Before he could knock again, the door swung open with Kitty Pryde, a young mutant. Her cheery smiled and sparkling eyes told him everything was okay. He started to turn when he heard her gasp. Turning he saw he on of the floor with a pillow in her hand. A small chuckle came to him, as he realized Rogue started practicing throwing pillows at her roommate. Kitty’s brown hair was no longer smooth.
"Hee hee. Excuse me, Professor while I take care of a small problem," Kitty growled, not giving the superior invalid a chance to answer. He turned his chair and knocked on another door down the hallway. Jean Grey, a tall red headed young girl answered.
"Good morning. Alexya’s having a bit trouble getting up this morning." Jean informed him. The red head showed the lump in her partner’s bed. She shut the door and started walking down the hall. "I’ll see you later. I’m getting breakfast. I’m starved." He watched her disappear and knocked on the door again. This time, an extremely tired girl with auburn hair, answered. Alexya yawned, stretching tall wise when her eyes bugged out.
"Sorry Professor! I, uh, had a little trouble sleeping last night. Now I’m exhausted." Though, she tried her hardest not to hide the lie, Professor saw right through it.
"Hurry and meet us down for breakfast. You don’t want to be late for school."
Finally, everyone was down for their meal. The dinning room was filled with hearty smells and silverware hitting the plates. The young auburn haired girl was the first to dismiss herself. She hardly eaten or drank a thing, claiming she needed to finish getting ready for school. Professor watched her, curiously. He knew she was out last night, but didn’t say anything for he knew he would find out. Glancing at Logan, one of the adults of the mutants, he motioned for him to go. Logan did, setting down the newspaper and running his hand through his thick black hair. The young blue mutant noticed the disturbed looked on Professor’s face. He considered following Logan, but knew he should get involved. But then again, he considered, there’s an adventure to find.
"What’s yur hurry, Alex?" The largely built man called, startling the girl. She turned, her face white as ghost.
"I, uh, I have to do some things," Alexya clearly lied and her voice didn’t help, betraying her. Alexya knew her voice betrayed her by the look in Logan’s eyes. "I’m sorry. I just, I- I need to do something. Something happened-," she paused, grabbing a glance at the unpersuaded mutant, then looked down. "Just take my word that something happened. And that I need to figure out for myself." Alexya didn’t give Logan time to answer. She quickly turned and left the mansion. Kurt popped in, sending a sulfuric smell that filled Logan’s nostrils.
"Ja! Did I miss her? I vas hoping to talk to Alex," Kurt smiled, changing into his "human" self.
"Yeah elf, you did. She just left." Logan followed out the door, leaving Kurt alone. The kitchen door opened as the Professor wheeled in.
"Is Alex alright, Pofessor?"
"Alexya’s dug herself a hole Kurt, and it’ll take some time to get out." He calmly spoke.

At Bayville High School, Kurt Wagner pushed his black bangs behind one ear. He trembled as he walked up to the teacher’s desk, his head down low.
"I, uh, my homework-" he coughed and stuttered. A taller girl walked up beside him, handing in her History paper.
"Sir, what my young friend here is trying to say is, he did his homework, but since I wasn’t understanding the History, he explained it to me. I guess with all his helping, he forgot to grab his work off the couch last night." The teacher looked unconvinced. "We live close by, and, I don’t understand History that well, at all." She smiled as her eyes sparkled.
"Fine. Tomorrow Wagner or zero." The guy spoke. "And Wilson, your homework." Kurt turned to the red headed mutant.
"Tanks a villion, Jean," Kurt whispered as they separated to different rows. Jean winked, taking her seat next to Scott. She watched Alexya turned her paper in then sit back down. The classroom clock’s large hand struck half past, followed by the bell, dismissing class. Scott, Jean and Kurt met outside class that day.
"Want to go somewhere for lunch?" Scott suggested.
"Ja! And by da time you get vack, it be time for class." Kurt shook his head, heading his locker.
"See ya at the bench!" Jean called after him. Kurt turned, waving then quickened his pace. Scott and Jean started toward the exit when Jean caught sight of Alexya coming out. "Hey Alex, want to join us?" Alexya looked around, trying to think of an excuse, but couldn’t.
"Uh, sure. Let me get my lunch," she grumbled, looking around the hall.
"We’re outside, by the large tree." Scott filled her in then caught up with Jean who already started that way.

During lunch, Kitty Pryde went on talking about her AP English class.
"Geez Kitty. Tell me anymore, and I’ll drop out and let me teach you!" Snapped Alexya. She turned back her attention back to the other side of the parking lot. Kitty looked down, almost insulted. Scott’s face wrinkled up, as he glanced at Jean. Jean set her juice carton down, staring at Alexya, who had her eyes glued.
"Like, sorry Alex," Kitty whimpered, pushing her brown bag away. Alexya turned back to Kitty, already regretting her attitude.
"Where’d that come from?" Evan asked.
"I- I don’t know." Alexya was clearly amazed as they were. "I’m sorry Kitty." Alexya found herself glancing back over Kitty’s shoulder.
"Lunch is about over. I’m going to head to class. Anyone want to join me?" Scott asked before walking away. Jean followed Alexya’s trance. Her mouth dropped when she saw in plain view who Alexya was watching.
"I will."
"Me too," the others chimed in.
"Not me," Alexya turned to drop her bag off then walked in the other direction.
Lance looked up and took note the auburn haired girl was walking over. He grinned, glancing at Pietro and Todd.
"Hey there pretty girl," smirked Pietro, crossing his arms. "What’cha doing here?"
"Who cares," Alexya snapped back. Lance and Alexya’s eyes met.
"Hey Pietro, I think a little two some going on," Todd smiled, his yellow beady eyes shined.
"Oh yeah. Mystique ain’t gonna be happy about this." Pietro whispered.

Back at the mansion, Logan popped his knuckles, counting the seconds the door to the main entrance would fly open with Evan on his skateboard.
"Six minutes," he muttered, stretching out full on the coach.
What do you know about our Alexya? a voice from inside Logan’s head asked. The Professor was making a habit to speak to Logan quietly.
She’s in deep, real deep. He glanced at his watch again. I don’t know what she’s thinking, Prof., but it ain’t good. Logan breathed in deeply, the sat up straight. "Three, two.." The door bust open with Evan, riding his skateboard. Upon seeing Logan glaring at him, he grabbed his board during a midair trick and lifted it. He sprawled forward, landing on his stomach in front of Logan’s left foot.
"Hehe. Oops," he looked up, almost able to see into Logan’s nostrils. Logan glared down.
"Listen here Spikey. Next time you decide to go showing you tricks in here, better make sure you have a good insurance to piece you back together," he growled, helping the boy up. The stairs creaked, grabbing Logan’s attention. Alexya was tiptoeing to her room. She’s back.

That night, Alexya dismissed herself from dinner, hardly eating a bite. Kurt grabbed her plate, but then realized he didn’t want to miss her again. He BAMF-ed out of the kitchen, meeting her in the girls’ hallway.
"Vhat’s your hurry?" He asked, startling her.
"Why does everyone do that? Geez!" Catching her breath, Alexya walked in her room with Kurt following.
"Alex?"
"Kurt, listen. I’ve got to go somewhere. There’s someone I have to see. No one knows, or will know." Alexya put her hair up in a tight ponytail. "Is that back smooth?" she asked, turning to Kurt.
"Ja. But vhere are you going?"
"Out."
"Vhere?"
"To the construction sight!"
"Uh-huh. Vhy?" Kurt crossed his arms, sitting on her bed.
"To meet someone," Alexya smiled. "Next you’re going to ask me what." She looked at Kurt who was still on the question vhy, I mean why. "Someone!"
"Vho?"
"Vho hoo!" sarcassed Alexya. She saw Kurt wasn’t one bit amused. "Uh, Lance." Her voice was weak.
"Lance?! Vhy?" Kurt BAMF-ed off the bed, landing on her dresser, inches from her face.
"Are we back at why?" She moved around his fuzzy ears, snapping in a barrette. "If you don’t move, you’re going to suddenly smell like strawberries," she warned, grabbing her body spray. Kurt BAMF-ed off her dressed on back on the bed. "Look Kurt, I know you’re concerned. We’ve grown close since I came here. But little bro, back off. I know what I’m doing." Alexya started to leave the room, when she turned to see Kurt standing. "Oh, and uh, don’t breathe a word." Alexya disappeared around the hall before he had a chance to answer.

Logan.
On my way, Prof.

"You’re back?" Lance’s deep voice rang from behind one of the construction beams.
"Why wouldn’t I be?" flirted Alexya. She leaned on the other side.
"Why do you follow me?"
"Why not?"
"Why are you answering my questions with an answer?" Lance gritted between his teeth. He faced her, his eyes glaring hard.
"Touchy." Alexya wasn’t giving in. Her smiled, flashing her white teeth. Lance calmed down, his eyes becoming soft again. "So, uh, I don’t read minds or anything, but uh, I can detect a little affection your way." She battered her eyes, making Lance blush.
"Maybe, but that doesn’t mean I don’t feel anything coming from you." He leaned against his arm, which was holding his weight against the beam above the girl’s head. A moment of silent came after, as they stared at each other. Drawing closer, Alexya found herself being enveloped by Lance’s muscular arms.

Scott stopped just outside the mansion with his red Mustang.
"Can you believe what we saw?" Asked Scott.
"What did we see?" Jean asked.
"Like Alex and-" Kitty stopped long enough to shudder then go on, "-Lance." Jean and Kitty stepped out, grabbing their bags when a violent earthquake shook the ground, sending the girls sprawling backward. Scott looked up.
"Hey Shades," Quicksilver whizzed around the car, blowing the horn.
"Hey!" Scott fired a shot, but missed. A bush near by, so perfectly sculpted, now singed on the top.
"You missed," sang Quicksilver, whizzing around the car again.
"Did someone call my name?" Avalanche smiled, stomping his foot. The ground shook and lifted Kitty up. Kitty stumbled, turning her head. Scott’s car was on direct path with her head. She closed her eyes, making her molecules fade through the car and landed against the stairs.
"My turn!" Toad called, hopping his way to her. He spit his tongue out at Kitty but suddenly stopped. Trying to pull it back in, he looked up to see Jean concentrating on it. "Hey Avalanche! I could use some help ova here!" Avalanche turned, directing the quakes to drag Jean down, half way.
"Hey!" She hollered.

With all the noise taking place below Alexya’s room, Alexya walked to the window.
"No!" she hollered, but no one heard her. Kurt and Evan were at the school still with Logan on a two on one game of basketball. Ororo and Professor had to be busy with something else not to hear the cries. There was nothing else she could do. Taking a deep breath, Alexya made her way to the front porch. She watched as Kitty was thrown to the other side by Avalanche’s powerful quakes.
"Stop!" Alexya yelled. The noise halted, the fighting stopped, everything was peaceful.
"Alex, come to my side," Avalanche called. Alexya hesitated, looking at Jean who was half in the ground, then looking at Scott.
"Alex?" Scott asked, pulling the red head out.
"Come on. It’s us or them baby!" Avalanche’s smile started to fade. Quicksilver leaned on him, cocking his head. "Freedom! No exercises, no nothing. Just freedom and rule the world." There was a long pause.
"Uh-" She looked at Avalanche, her eyes started tearing up. "I-" Turning to Scott, Alexya became worried. What decision should she make, she wondered.
"Magneto will help; Professor is using you like a pawn!" Quicksilver tried influencing.
"Who’s Magneto?" Alexya asked. Avalanche gave Quicksilver a glare.
"Never mind," he muttered. Again, looking both ways, Alexya found herself frozen.
"Alex," a soft voice called to her side. It was Jean. She’d climbed the steps and stood next to her. "Alex, it’s up to you. We taught you this much. If you should follow them, go ahead. But the bed next to mine is always open." Jean stepped back.
"Man enough talk!" Quicksilver faced Kitty, ready to pounce.
"You’re right! Enough talk." Alexya fists turned a silvery-white as she looked at Scott. "The leader goes down first. Close your eyes and I‘ll make this painless." Scott’s mouth dropped as Avalanche’s smiled wider. With a quick flick of her elbows, silver acid suddenly wrapped around a pair of legs, following up to his waist, while holding down his arms.
"Alex!" Yelled Lance, frozen down.
"And now the loser!" She turned, throwing the acid to his sidekick. His left leg froze to the ground, making him unable to move. She turned to Toad. His eyes widened as he turned and hopped out of the yard. "Chicken." Scott, Jean, and Kitty cheered her on, running up the steps to hug her.
"Like, you had us totally fooled!" Kitty congratulated her.
"Great choice!" Jean sighed.
"You play poker?" Scott asked.
"No," Alexya wrinkled her face in confusion.
"You’d be good at it. That poker face of yours fooled me!" He patted her back. Alexya smiled, as Scott started inside after the girls.
"Uh, Scott." Scott stopped and turned to Alexya. She turned to Avalanche and Quicksilver. "Please." Scott fired to shots at their feet. Instantly the acid melted, leaving their uniforms unharmed.
"See ya around Shades and traitor!" Quicksilver left, leaving a blur behind him. Avalanche followed, his head down.
"Lance-"
"Shut up," his angered voice was kept low, as he kept walking. She ran up beside him.
"Lance, please listen." He grunted as Alexya continued. "I’m sorry," she blurted.
"Yeah right. You didn’t even give it a second thought." He stopped just beyond the gate.
"Oh yes I did," she snapped back. "I gave it a lot of thought. But I couldn’t betray," she paused, "-betray my family."
"Those X-Freaks? Instead you betrayed me." He looked up, his eyes hurting with pain.
"Lance-"
"No, Alexya Wilson, from this day on, there will be no more meeting at night, no more flirting, no more sweet talking. From now on, you and I are enemies till the end." He stared her down, watching her eyes tear up even more. Streams of tears flowed down her red cheeks. "Good bye," he turned his back, listening to her weep, "forever." Alexya looked up, her vision blurry. Lance never looked back, as he turned the corner and continued.

That night, Alexya ran to construction sight.
"Lance?" she called, hoping he was there. But he wasn’t. So this was it. She would never be with him again, never flirt with him, touch his warm skin, feel his warm lips against hers. A single tear fell down her cheek as her heart felt like it was torn in half. "I’m sorry," she whimpered, falling to her knees. Alexya hugged her knees, sitting against the beam she and Lance were standing next to the previous night. It was over.
High in the taller section of the beams, a pair of eyes glanced down her way.
It’s over Prof. The girl’s hurt, but it’s over. Wolverine dropped his head, feeling her pain.