Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

Chapter One

By: Valgal

One dark, crisp October night, the week before Halloween, a new student appeared at the Xavier Institute, accompanied by a traitor. Knocking on the large oak doors, the traitor turned to his daughter. "Don't worry about a thing. They'll be able to help you get some control over yourself."

The door opened, and Ororo looked out, then stepped back in surprise. "John! How...? Where...? Come in!" Closing the doors behind the two visitors, she called into the hallway, unusually excited. The Professor rolled in calmly, followed by a scowling Logan. Jean walked slowly down the stairs with Scott. Kurt 'ported in with Evan, and Kitty phased through a wall, followed by Rogue, who stepped through a doorway. Finally, Jamie and Hank arrived, walking out of the kitchen.

"Hello John," said the Professor. "It's been a long time. I could sense that you were coming."

"Yeah, it's been a while," replied the traitor, whose name was John Allerdyce. "How's everything been around here?"

"A lot better than when you were around," snapped Logan, eyeing their visitors. "What's the matter? Did ya come crawling back again?"

John sighed and ground the toe of his shoe into the floor. "No, I'm not crawling back. I'm here to get my daughter some help with her powers." The Professor tilted his head thoughtfully. Giving Logan a warning look, he turned to Ororo. "Ororo, please make some coffee. And Jean, please show our new student around the mansion."

"Sure Professor. But who's the student?"

"Gee, maybe if you asked, you'd know," came a sharp voice from behind John. A slim girl a little shorter than Jean and was Jean's age stepped out from behind her father. She had bright red-gold hair with golden blond and gold-orange streaks running through it, so that it looked like a fire. She had deep, metallic gold eyes, and pale, freckled skin. As she spoke, she revealed two slightly sharper than normal canine teeth.

"Well, sorry. Maybe I'm just curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Girls, please. Jean, show some restraint. We do have a new student. Logan, please go with them. The rest of you can do what you please. John come with me," said the Professor as he rolled into the kitchen. Shooting a look of pure hatred at John, Logan turned to the girls. "So, what's your name kid?" he snapped at the new girl.

"It's Tyger. Make fun of it or me, and you're dead."

With that, the tour began. It ran smoothly, save for the occasional snarky comment from Tyger. She seemed to be doing everything possible to be rude, mean, sarcastic, and make their lives miserable. As they walked downstairs, Logan glaring at the traitor's daughter, who looked like she was ready to kill Jean. There was a scraping sound from the kitchen, and John walked out, followed by Ororo. Turning to his only child he said, "Your stuff's in your room. I'll be gone for a while, but don't hurt think you can get away with anything. Try and take control, at least, of those powers. You better show 'em off in the morning. Goodbye Tyger." With that, he walked out the door.

Tyger whirled around and stomped up the stairs, swearing under her breath, right to her room, the one next to Logan's. The Professor shook his head. he would be a difficult teen to tame. There would be problems.

To be continued...