Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright

 

                                                                                 Chapter Two

 

 

     The next morning wasn't much better. It was a lazy Saturday, exactly one week before Halloween, and everyone was working hard on their Halloween costumes for the school dance. That was all they ever talked about. That was, until Tyger stomped downstairs, clad in a pair of very short shorts and a tight, low-cut tanktop that ended just above her belly button. Her firey hair, in its layered cut, stuck out from her head. She looked like she hadn't slept in weeks.

 

"Well, look what the cat dragged in,"said Logan with a small chuckle.

 

     Tyger muttered something indicsernable and plopped down in a chair next to Jamie and Hank and directly across from Logan. Grabbing the platter of pancakes, she put some on her plate and poured herself a cup of coffee. Then, concentrating on Logan's cup of coffee, she felt a surge of heat right behind her eyes, a small smirk crossing her lips.

 

     Logan looked at the new recruit with dislike. How...convienient of the Professor to have a two week trip to Washington the day that the new kid had to show off her powers. He picked up his mug and stared in confusion as its contents began to suddenly boil. There was a shattering noise, and the coffee mug exploded in his face.

 

     Logan gripped the edge of the table and stood up, leaning forward. Tyger, sensing a fight, did the same. They were eye to eye. "What's the matter, 'Hedgehog'? Can't take a joke?"

 

"The name's Wolverine, kid. If that's your idea of a joke, you're in big trouble. You're just like your dad, you little punk."

 

"Why you-" Tyger swore, loudly, her language getting worse by the second.

 

"Please, Logan, Tyger, stop this fighting. We're supposed to be on the same side, after all," said Hank, grabbing Tyger's shoulder and pulling her back into her seat. Tyger glared at him, and muttered under her breath.

 

     The rest of the meal passed quickly. As Ororo and Jean cleared the table, Tyger went upstairs to change out of her pyjamas. She slid down the banister sideways, wearing a tight white halter top that said "I Love My Attitude Problem"in hot pink letters , a super-short black miniskirt, and a pair of knee-high black leather boots with steel toes. Running into the den, she skid to a stop.

 

     The rest of the mutants arrived quickly. There was a very tense moment when Jean made a comment about Tyger's clothes, but it passed without anybody, namely Jean, getting hurt. Finally, everyone had arrived. Tyger spoke,"So you want to see my powers, right?"

 

"Wow, lightning doesn't have to strike you, does it?" said Jean innocently, and getting a dirty look for it.

 

"Ok, here it goes. My main power is fire like my dad. He told me about this place, and how he called himself The Flaming Devil. Well, I inherited his powers, so I'm pretty good with fire. Watch this."

 

      Turning towards the window, she aimed her hands at a pile of leaves. A blast of fire flew from her hand, engulfing the leaves in flames. They burned to the ground, but since it had rained before, the fire didn't spread. She turned around, and another blast of fire came, but this time, in the shape of a dragon. "I'm pretty good at controlling it. I can make it go into some really cool shapes."

 

"Wow," Jamie stared wide-eyed as the dragon uncurled gracefully in mid-air. There were similar comments from all around, and even Logan had to compliment her. Only Jean and Scott didn't comment on it. Suddenly, Tyger whirled around and launched a handful of flames at a newspaper, which instantly caught on fire.

 

     "Are you crazy?!?" Jean screeched, jumping back from the fire. Everyone else followed suit, except Rogue, who stepped forward. She bent over the newspaper, then straightened up. "It's not burning," she said softly, wonderingly. "It's not even warm. The newspaper looks like it hasn't been touched."

 

"Right on! It's a little something I discovered I can do. It's a kind of fire that doesn't burn, or even get warm. I can use it like my regular fire powers too. Oh, and that other fire power I've got is being able to make things catch on fire by concentrating on them," Tyger grinned.

 

     Ororo sighed as Hank spoke up. "Well, that explains the case of the explosion this morning. How dangerous is your power, anyway?"

 

"No comment," Tyger retorted.

 

"Come with me," Ororo said quietly. "Your father told us that you've got firepower. The Professor wants me to help you make an outfit, so hurry. We might be able to finish it today if we hurry."

 

     Tyger reluctantly followed Ororo. Shooting a murderous glare at Jean, she walked out of the room, her head filled with thoughts of hate. 

 

                                                                ***One Hour Later***

 

     Tyger stepped out of Ororo's room, wearing her new outfit. It was a tight black tube top that ended about three inches above her belly button, a pair of tight black leggings, and a pair of low, black suede ankle boots. She went off to find the guys. Logan and Hank were training, and the girls went out shopping for their costumes, so she walked to the living room, where the guys were having a horror movie marathon.

 

     As she opened the door, the first thing she noticed was that the room was pitch black, the only light coming from the TV. The second thing she saw was Evan and Kurt grabbing each other, and Jamie peeking out from behind a pillow as the murderer prepared to kill his next victim.

 

"I can't believe you're watching this!" yelled Kurt, his eyes wide and voice tinged with fear.

 

"I can't believe you're letting me!" yelped Jamie.

 

"Ahhh!" screamed Evan as he saw Tyger. She made a face and strode over to the VCR, turning it off. She turned on the light and stood in front of the guys. "Well, whaddaya think?" she asked.

 

"Cool outfit!" declared Evan.

 

"Ja! Jean and Kitty'll flip!" said Kurt.

 

"It goes great with your hair," came Jamies comment.

 

"Thanks guys!" she said happily as she walked out of the room. "See ya later!"