Night=s Howl

Part 1

Yuma, Arizona. A bright, sunny day of 105 FE with no clouds in sight. Heat waves radiate off of everything in sight, and the Yuma High School building has every window open. Fans circulate precious air through the cramped rooms. Inside Room 23 sits a figure apart from the rest. His skin is pale, his hair ragged and unkempt with streaks of red and black. He wears dark clothing from head to toe, his entire body covered except his head.

AMr. Maxwell,@ the teacher spoke in his direction, Awould you care to relate to me the four points of Wilson=s original fourteen agreed upon at the Treaty of Versailles?@ The teacher stood at her podium with a steel gaze fixed upon the young man=s sunken head. Slowly the head rose, revealing a stone-set frown and a pair of dark sunglasses. The teacher waited for an answer as the eyes of the rest of the class slowly panned to stare at the boy in black.

ACome on, Goth Boy. Answer the question so you can return to your cave.@ A group of boys sitting in the next row wearing football jerseys turned and laughed, exchanging high fives with the one who spoke.

AWhy don=t you make the sweaty jock over there answer the question, teach?@ The boy in black smirked as the other boy jumped up from his chair.

ASay that again, vampire. Watch me pound some color back in your skin.@ Both boys were on their feet now, staring each other down. The teacher rapped her ruler. The football boy=s fist was already raised to the other=s face. The boy in black didn=t twitch even as the teacher pushed herself between the two.

AThat=s it from you boys. One more conflagration and both of you are getting referrals. Now sit down and take some notes before I fail both of you.@ She waved her ruler at both of them as the room=s fan blew cool air through the boy in black=s hair. He slowly sat in his chair, never removing his gaze from the other boy=s face. The jocks laughed amongst themselves.

After school.

The sun burned down like a spotlight upon the school campus. The boy in black moved close to the building, keeping in its shadow. He slid the glove off of his right hand and held it in the light. He winced in pain as his skin began to burn and glow red. Pale steam rose from the surface of his hand and he pulled it quickly back into its protective sheath. He held his hand in pain as the first punch hit his face, sending him reeling into the wall. His head connected with a thud and his glasses flew from his face. Falling to the ground, he searched for them only to hear the crunch of a boot on glass. He opened his eyes and was nearly blinded by how bright it was, even in the shade. The group of boys from the class stood over him.

AWell, well, if it isn=t vampire boy? You so scared of the light that you want to run into your cave now?@ The boys laughed at the joke. The boy in black rose to feet to confront the threat. A drop of blood fell from his head onto the hot pavement, sizzling as it contacted. The lead jock hit him again, knocking his head back into the wall. The boy in black coughed blood onto the pavement, it too sizzling into steam. The jocks stepped back at this, looking in confusion at this strange sight. The lead jock picked the boy up and held him against the wall for another punch. As the fist flew through the air, the boy in black=s eyes blazed red and his body sunk into the shadow on the wall. The jock=s fist impacted the wall at the head of the shadow, instantly breaking his hand. The jock screamed in pain as he held his shattered hand. The shadow on the wall stood for a second before darting along the wall at breakneck speed. It rounded the corner and stopped. The boy in black stepped out of it, the shadow behind him melting into his body. He held up hands and touched his face, still slick with blood.

AWhat just happened? What did I do?@ his voice was shaky and full of fear. He fell to his knees and shook uncontrollably as the jocks rounded the corner, the lead one still holding his hand in intense pain.

AGet him! Get the mutant!@ they all yelled after the boy in black. The boy turned and saw them running for him, the other kids around the campus turning to stare directly at him, pointing and mouthing the word, Amutant.@ The boy stood up with a scowl on his face and turned toward the gang rushing at him. He held his hands out and yelled at the top of his lungs.

ASTOP!@ His eyes flared red and waves of darkness sparked from his fingertips. Soon the whole school campus was enveloped in a sphere of darkness, the waves from the boy=s hands swirling in a vortex of black energy. Kids all around the school stumbled in the darkness, tripping over curbs and into walls. The group of jocks stopped and began feeling around in the pitch-black Arizona day. The boy looked at his feet and sank into his own shadow on the ground. From outside the darkness a single shadow without a visible origin could be seen moving quickly away.

Bayville High School.

The bell for the last period of the day sounded throughout the empty hallways like a cathedral=s call for mass. Soon the halls filled with students going to classes. Kitty Pryde emerged from a classroom, Kurt close behind.

ASo anyways, I was totally hurt by it! I mean, how could anyone just dump all that jelly on that poor girl=s head? Some people are so insensitive!@ Kurt seemed to be listening intently, adding a comment in his broken accent every few seconds. A little while after they had left another girl emerged from the room, her white bangs hanging silently in front of her pale face. Rogue walked to where her locker was located and opened it slowly. She piled her biology book inside amidst a spoiled bag lunch, some old sneakers, and a few torn books. For a second she rested her head on the locker door=s edge and a single tear rolled down her cheek, soaking into her bangs. A face appeared to her side and Rogue quickly hid her face to wipe away the rest of the tear.

AHey Rogue, vhat=s keeping you? I saw Herr Logan and he told Kitty and me to get you. Dhe Professor is calling us all togedher.@ Kurt=s broken English was soothing to Rogue=s tired ears, and she turned to the disguised elf.

AOkay, Kurt. Ah=ll be along, jest give me a minute.@ Rogue wiped away the last of her tear and shut her locker. The lonely girl who yearns to touch followed after Kurt as he walked off to rejoin Kitty.

Xavier Institute.

ATobias Maxwell is a resident of Yuma, Arizona. His mutant powers manifested fully for the first time just one hour ago. It is imperative that we reach him before anyone else does. I was unable to read the exact nature of his powers, so be on your guard. You all need to get ready to leave in twenty minutes. Logan will be heading this operation, and I want you all to conceal your powers unless absolutely necessary. I wish you all the best of luck.@ Professor Xavier left the control room, leaving the rest of the X-Men to study the monitors. The boy in black, Tobias Maxwell, stood on screen facing the X-Men.

AHey, he=s kinda cute, huh Rogue?@ Kitty whispered to Rogue. The lonely girl turned her head away to hide her blushing and whispered back, AYou=re desperate, Kitty, yah haven=t even met the guy yet.@ Kitty scowled at her, turning her head away with a Ahmmph.@ Scott immediately took charge of the situation.

AOkay, people, we need to get moving. Let=s all get ready to load up. You might want to check in with anyone you had plans with tonight and tell them you won=t be able to make it. Now I-@ his monologue was interrupted by Logan.

AListen here, bub. I thought I heard the Professor say I was in charge. So shut up your big mouth and take some orders from me. Everybody needs to get on the jet. Now.@ He smirked at Scott, who had already taken an unhappy face at all of this. The X-Men filed out of the control room toward the hangar, but Rogue trailed behind. She glanced up at the rotating image of Tobias of the screen. Somehow, she allowed a smile to half cross her lips.

AHe is kind of cute,@ she whispered softly to herself as she left the room.

Yuma, Arizona.

Rogue walked through the hot night along Yuma=s main street. The warm breeze was soothing when compared to the cold air of Bayville. Kitty was ahead with Evan and Kurt, trying to find out where they should look next. The X-Men had already begun to search parks and abandoned buildings looking for someone fitting Tobias=s description. Logan had sent Rogue and the others to look into a system of dry aqueducts running through the city leading to California. Rogue sighed and shifted her hair in the warm breeze. Kitty=s voice trailed off into an annoying mumble. Rogue had grown too accustomed to Kitty=s voice and soon could no longer hear it above the sounds of the hot night. She crossed her arms and turned into a nearby alley to get away from the others. She strolled past turned-over trash cans and felt the crunch of paper underneath her boots. She looked around and saw the shadow of a cat creep along a wall toward her.

AHi there, little kitty. How are yah doin= tonight?@ Rogue bent on her knees and waited for the cat to come around the corner. She was surprised when it didn=t and she let out a long, depressed sigh. Its shadow kept moving along the wall and eventually disappeared in an area void of light. Rogue swept her bangs away from her face and sat down between a dumpster and a boarded door. She put her head on her knees and began humming softly to herself. Her head lifted with a few tears rolling down her cheeks. She heard voices coming from around a corner and moved behind a pile of garbage cans, trying to hide herself from view. She listened intently.

AIf I ever find that mutant again I=ll kill him. Look at my freakin= hand! Those mutants, if I ever saw another one of them I=d bust his head in.@ A group of boys in letter jackets, led by one holding a bandaged hand, strolled through the alley. AThat stupid little Goth mutant kid. I=m gonna find him and beat him senseless.@ The leader=s words were answered with Ayeah@ and Alet=s get >im@ from the rest of the group. Rogue waited until they had left before she rose to leave. Her mind began to wander, and she figured that these boys must have been talking about Tobias. Rogue ducked among the refuse in the alley and followed them, not knowing that the cat=s shadow was following her. She glanced around the corner they had gone down and slowly moved after them. Her breathing came in short breaths as she rounded the next corner, only to come in contact with a sudden punch. Rogue yelped as the punch hit her in the head, tumbling over onto a pile of discarded papers. She looked angrily up at her attacker as the cat=s shadow hissed. The jock=s leader stood above her.

AWell, well, boys, looks like we got ourselves a pretty little Goth girl. Why are you following us, little girl? Get lost from your pack?@ The jocks all laughed.

AYou back off. Ah=m warning yah, just leave me alone and yah won=t get hurt.@ Rogue stood up and pushed her bangs aside. The jocks laughed again as the cat hissed even louder.

AWhere is that damn cat? I=m gonna take care of it as soon as I=m done with you, Goth girl.@ The jocks closed around Rogue and she backed up further into the heap of rubbish. She warned them again.

AYah=ll back up and leave me alone. Ah don=t want to have to use mah powers.@ Rogue assumed a fighting stance and stared down the lead jock. He smirked.

AYour powers? What are you, a mutant? I=m not scared of you, little girl. Now just come here and I promise I won=t hurt you. Well, maybe a little, what do you say, boys?@ The jocks all laughed and moved closer to Rogue. Her eyes set upon the lead jock with a solid crystal intensity. She seemed to bore into his very soul. He rubbed the gloved hand he had punched her with.

AYour face hurts, pretty girl. I guess I=ll have to soften it up a bit.@ Rogue shifted to attack first but was stopped cold when a metal bar was struck across the back of her head. A searing pain shot through her brain and she collapsed on the heap of garbage. A boy behind her stood holding a long piece of rebar.

AGood job, Jake. Led her right to me. What do you want to do first?@ The boy dropped the rebar and grabbed Rogue underneath her armpits. Rogue moaned in pain and tried to open her eyes. The first noise she heard was a loud yell from behind the jocks.

ADON=T TOUCH HER!@ The jocks wheeled around and Rogue tried to adjust her eyes to see. The cat=s shadow morphed into the shape of the boy in black and he stepped out of the shadow on the wall. He lifted his finger to Jake. ADon=t touch her, creep.@ The boy had caked blood on the side of his face and his clothes were rumpled and stained. Rogue, through her blurred vision, recognized him as Tobias immediately.

AYou,@ said Jake. AI figured as much, Goth mutant trying to save another. We don=t want your kind around here. Lay down and take your beating, and we=ll let you get out of town without further incident.@ Jake motioned to the boy carrying Rogue to drop her. He fell in with the other jocks. Rogue held her head in her hands and tried to clear her mind of stars. She regained her senses just in time to see Jake lunge at Tobias. The punch was wide and hard, and Tobias dodged it with ease. He connected with a swift kick to the ribs, knocking Jake into a metal dumpster. The other boys rushed Tobias just before he sank into his shadow on the ground. The jocks piled into one another and struggled to get up. Tobias took them each as they came up, ignoring Jake as he crawled around by Rogue and the rebar club. Just as a jock was floored Jake took the club and grabbed Rogue by the arm.

AMutant, you better drop down right now or I=ll-@his sentence was stopped short when Rogue grabbed him around the neck and lifted him up. He struggled for breath as his memories were sucked away. Rogue=s eyes flashed red and she dropped Jake, now unconscious, on the dirty ground. She turned to Tobias.

ACome on, let=s get the hell outta here. Ah don=t wanna be around here when these guys get up.@ She grabbed Tobias by the arm and dragged him out of the alley. She led him through a labyrinth of concrete, brick, and garbage until they reached an aqueduct. The concrete sluice was sealed by a seven-foot barb wire fence. Rogue started to climb but Tobias held her back.

AI=ll take care of it,@ he said. Holding Rogue in his arms, he phased into a shadow and passed underneath the fence. They rose out of the gloom inside the aqueduct and started running. While underneath an overpass, they heard what seemed to be a mob overhead.

AGet rid of the mutants! They hurt my boy! This town is pure!@ the mob roared through the night. Rogue and Tobias hid in his shadow underneath the overpass. When they emerged, Rogue=s face was flushed with concern.

AMy friends! Ah=ve got to help >em. That mob=ll lynch >em if we aren=t fast enough! Tobias, you=ve got to help me find them.@ She stared into his face and pleaded for his cooperation. He had a puzzled look on his countenance.

AHow did you know my name is Tobias? And who are these friends of yours?@ He was confused as to how this strange mutant girl knew his name.

AAh=m with the X-Men. The Professor, he leads us, found out you had gotten yore powers and he sent us here to get yah. Mah name is Rogue, and ah can tell you that the X-Men can help you with yore powers.@ She ducked back under the overpass as more of the mob stomped overhead. Tobias nodded to her.

AOkay then, let=s go. Oh, and stop calling me Tobias. My friends call me Toby.@ He grabbed her by the arm and glanced up at the overpass. AIt=s not safe yet. Just wait here a minute.@ Toby looked back at Rogue and saw that she had her back to him, looking up the other side of the overpass. Toby saw slick blood running down the back of her neck. ARogue, you=re bleeding. Let me see what happened to you.@ His glove removed, he pulled apart her hair and touched her bare skin near the bloody gash.

ANo, wait! Toby!@ Rogue tried to warn him but it was too late. They both screamed in unison as Toby=s memories and powers were sucked away into Rogue=s body. Her auburn hair grew black and red streaks and Toby collapsed into her arms, unconscious. Rogue held him up as he moaned in pain. AAh tried to warn you. Ah=m dangerous to touch.@ She heard yells from above.

AMutants are down here! Look, mutants! Let=s get >em!@ Members of the mob began to jump down from the overpass onto the sides of the aqueduct, closing in on Rogue and the senseless Toby. The mob began throwing Molotov cocktails and rocks at them, coming close to hitting the pair with missiles directed out of fear and hate.

Rogue whispered into Toby=s ear, AAh hope yore powers work, Toby.@ She sank into her shadow, Toby limp in her arms. The shadow moved across the aqueduct at breakneck speeds, avoiding thrown rocks and flaming bottles. At a turning point, the shadow moved up the concrete bank and disappeared into the shadows lining the aqueduct. The mob lost it in the darkness.