Slice of Life

by Odeena Skywalker


Chapter 6: Love is in the air

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

"Are we there yet?"

"No!"

"Are we there yet?"

"Elsie..."

I chuckle. Somehow, I just can't help annoying poor Sam. I particularly need to get back at him for blackmailing me - yup, that's the word, blackmailing me with those puppy-dog eyes - into healing his broken arm. My head is still spinning lightly.

Well, that's one reason for which I'm annoying Sam. Another is that I'm wearing a thick, black blindfold that was Bobby idea. 'It'd make things a lot more interesting', he said. 'You'll be stunned', he said. And before I knew it, I was wearing this stupid blindfold. One might say that I should annoy Bobby instead, but he's the current hero of the gang, what with making a huge ice ramp so we could get Scott's car back on the road safely (though we did have to get out and push). So, Bobby's clean. For now. I will get back at him.

Anyway, with Amara and Rahne being out of reach and Ray supposedly concentrating on the road, and since I obviousliy couldn't annoy myself, the decision was made. Poor, poor Sam.

"So, are we there yet?"

I can't see the look on Sam's face, but I'm guessing it nonetheless: annoyed, probably wanting to be miles away from me at the moment. He sighs.

"Elsie, look. I'll let you know when we get there. There's no need for you to ask me that every blasted second, you know! OK?"

"Nope. Are we there yet?"

"Argh."

Bobby cuts in, "Come on, I think the poor thing had enough. Really."

"Okay then." I smile as sweetly as I can. "Bobby, are we there yet?"

I hear Bobby muttering something really nasty under his breath. "Now now, that's very rude of you, Robert Drake!"

"How'd you know my name was Robert?" he asks after a second of stuned silence.

"I guessed. Now. Are we-"

Suddenly, with a deafening screech of brakes, the car comes to a stop, so sudden that I'm almost thrown off my seat. I hear Ray's voice, "We're there."

"Crisp, I'm going to tear you molecule by molecule", Bobby threatens with a hiss.

"Ssh! Elsie, you can take off your blindfold now", Ray tells me. "But keep your eyes closed, OK? We'll tell you when to open them."

"Okay." I take of the blindfold, and, keeping my eyes squeezed shut, I put on my shades. 'Been missing the things. Not.

"Three - two - one - open your eyes!"

I do so - and I see Ray's face a few inches from mine. He's so close that I can feel his breath. "Ray!!" I shout, pulling back abruptly. The same second, Sam moans, "You broke my liver."

"Eh, sorry", I say quickly before turning back to Ray. "What do you think you're doing?"

Ray pouts, "So I won't get a kiss for being such a cool driver?"

"What?! I - of course not, where - where did you come up with that from"

"Well, can't blame a guy for trying." Ray pulls back, looking slightly hurt. The same moment, Sam turns my head around, "I give you - the Bayville Mall."

I must say, I lost my jaw, and that doesn't happen to me very often. In a word, the Bayville Mall is absolutely ast-on-ish-ing! "Wow", is all I can blurt out.

"Like it? Just wait 'til you see it up close!" Bobby's grin is wide. "C'mon! Let's go!"

I jump over Bobby and out of the car. Wow, I didn't know I could do that! The others are out as well. Ray still looks hurt. Hmm... seen from a certain angle, he doesn't look that bad.

"Um... Ray?"

"Yeah?"

"Err... my feet still hurt. Would you be so kind as to let me lean on you for support?"

"Sure!" In a split second, the whole thing about him wanting a kiss is long forgotten, and we walk into the mall, arm in arm. Behind me, I can hear Amara and Rahne (who, by the way, is back to her normal self now) giggle. I scowl at them. Giggling should be made illegal Yup, definately illegal.

"So, where do we go first?" Sam asks.

"How about the CD shop?" Everyone glares at me. "Uhm... I mean, I didn't have too much time to pack my CDs back home, and I cannot live a day more without my Celine Dion colection.

"You like Celine Dion?" Ray asks, sounding enthusiasted. "Me too!"

"Well, that's nice! Let's go and waste some cash now, shall we?" Bobby looks excited. Can't blame him.

"Let's", I answer, pulling Ray after me.

Behind me, Amara and Rahne exchange a glare. "Love is in the air", Rahne whispers, and both start giggling again.


Chapter 7: Ray Crisp, you are such a jerk!

One of the many axiomes in every teen's life is, when you get into a shopping mall, you kinda tend to loose track of time. That's exactly what happned to Ray, Sam, Bobby, Amara, Rahne and me: once inside the Bayville Mall, we forgot that we had stolen Scott's car, we forgot that we had been close to having a car accident twice, and that Scott was probably going to kill us. In our minds, there was only room for one word: shopping. And shop we did: CDs, computer games, two bottles of hair lotion, body piercings, a pair of socks, two Mickey Mouse hats, six pairs of sunglasses (out of which four were for me), a pair of shoes, countless bracelets, a pen, Joanne K. Rowling's 'Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire', a Limp Bizkit poster with original autographs (though Ray said they're not original after all) and two yo-yo's. Incredible, but all this actually fit in two huge shopping bags, which Sam - being the gentleman he is - agreed to carry for us. We didn't say no. All in all, time flew and we hardly realized it. Finally, we agreed to head to the fast food for a quick snack before driving back to the Institute and hoping Scott won't break our necks for stealing his car. However, a big colorful announcement caught my eye: "T-shirt sale, two for the price of one!" I decided to stay behind and told the guys I'll be right with them. BIG mistake...

~

"This one... nope. That one... nope, too much red, not my style. That one over there... cool, Eminem!"

I keep crawling along, examining each T-shirt in part. I'm TS-addicted, and my pocket hardly holds enough cash for a single one. Or, according to the announcement at the entrance, two. I find it extremely hard to choose. Finally, I decide for a black T-shirt with a big, bad-looking, red X on both sleeves (kinda suits my new condition as an X-recruit, doesn't it!) and one with a military pattern. I pay, grab the shopping bag and go for the exit, looking at my watch. This took me a little longer than I expected.

"Hi!"

"...huh?"

I stare blankly at the guy who appeared in front of me out of nowhere. Not that tall, very slim, and with... silver hair? Okay, if this is a hallucination, then it's a really twisted one.

"So, you're the new X-Geek Lance was talking about, aren't you."

Wow, this guy talks fast. It takes me a few seconds to translate his fast-talking into normal language, then I frown. X-Geek?

Wait. Silver hair, fast talking, bad attitude. Bingo.

"Yeah. And you must be Speedy of the Looserhood."

He grins, "On occasion. Commonly reffered to as Pietro Maximoff." Before I can do anything, he shakes my hand vigurously. "And you are...?"

"Elsie. Elsie Wright."

"Well, nice to meet you, Elsie. Do you have a codename? Mine's Quicksilver."

"I... no, not really. Do I have to?"

He smacks his forehead, "Really. Every mutant has to have a codename! How about Sky?"

I glare, "Sky...?"

"Yeah, from your sky-blue eyes. Which, by the way, really glow under those shades." Out of nowhere, Pietro takes out a tiny mirror and holds it up to my face. It's true. My eyes are glowing and clearly visible through my shades.

"Oh no."

He grins, "Don't worry! Everyone's too busy looking for sales and cutbacks to notice. But, I do suggest going home and getting the problem fixed before you attract too much attention. Which, by the way, raises the question, what's a pretty girl like you doing in here all alone?"

It takes me a few seconds to understand what he said. However, before I get a chance to answer, I hear a voice behind me, "She's not alone, Quicksilver."

I turn around to see a very angry-looking Ray behind me. Uh-oh. "It's OK, Ray, we were just... talking."

"Yeah, I bet you were. Come on, we're leaving." He grabs my arm and half-drags me away.

"Bye!" Pietro shouts, waving his hand at me. "Been nice chatting!"

"Ray, what are you doing?" I hiss as we head away. "We were just talking!"

"Fraternizing with the enemy", he answers, teeth gritting. "Don't do that."

I pull my arm free from his grip. "I talk with whoever I want to, Ray."

"Fine!" he shouts, causing a few passer-bys to stare. "But in that case you're walking to the Institute! We don't need no-"

"Ray, shut up!"

At the same time, Bobby grabs Ray's arm. "No scenes, okay?"

"But she was - she was talking with Maximoff!"

Amara raises an eyebrow, "So?"

"He's cool!" Rahne adds. "Really, Ray, lighten up! It's not like we're in World War two, you know!"

"But - but -"

"I think we better sort this out on the way home", Sam cuts in.

"Yeah, good idea", Bobby says, looking rather unconfortable. Ray scowls, then snarls and heads for the exit without anything else.

Suddenly, I feel my blod boiling.

"Ray Crisp, you are such a jerk!"

The others stare. I breathe hard, then I force out a smile.

"Well now, let's... get going, shall we?"

I nod, "Let's."

Ray is already waiting in the car. He doesn't say anyting as he sees us; he waits until we're all settled, then starts the engine, still silent. I close my eyes. Suddenly, I feel burning tears under my closed eyelids.


Chapter 8: You're not crying, are you?

The car roars towards the Institute at top speed. I can feel tears running down my cheeks and drying in the strong air current, but I don't try and wipe them. Someone may notice that I'm crying, and I really don't want to look like a crybaby. So long as I keep quiet, I can sulk and sob as much as I like.

"Hey! You're not crying, are you?"

...Or not.

Bobby glares at me, and I can read concern in his eyes. I smile a little, "Not any more."

Bobby gently strokes my hair, "Don't worry, Crisp can be a real ass sometimes, but he's really a good guy", he whispers.

"Yeah", I answer. "Thanks."

...Before I know it, we reach Prof Xavier's school. Bobby's ice ramp is still there, though it's half-melted and water drops form everywhere. Although I'm wearing shades, I have to shield my eyes; Ray, however, without the relative protection of sunglasses, is instantly blinded and he closes his eyes, hitting the brakes at the same time.

"Oh, SHIT!"

I close my eyes, and, for the third time this day, I mutter a quick prayer. After what seems like forever, the car stops with a last engine rumble. The same instant, I jump out of the car and lean on Bobby's ice ramp. We stopped only inches away from it.

"Now that - was close."

Bobby also jumps out of the car, then shakes his head. "I'm never riding home with you, Ray. Never-ever-ever-ever. Not even if the fate of the Universe depended on it. Nope. Nah-uh."

More practical, the others use the doors. I can tell they totally agree with Bobby.

"Fine then", Ray growls, "you park the car." Without anything else, Ray goes and touches a small scanning screen next to the gates. An electronic voice says, 'Identity confirmed. Welcome, Ray Crisp.' The gates part, and he sets off towards the Institute.

"Well, that was really sweet of him", Bobby says. "Well now, Sam, park the car pretty please, won't you? I'll go reason with Scott."

"As if", I mutter.

"Exqueeze me?"

I blush a little, "Well, no matter what you tell him, we'll still get detention. One week if we're lucky."

"How much d'you wanna bet on that?" Bobby extends his hand. "One McBurger, hmm?"

I shake his hand, "You're on."

As Sam drives Scott's car to the garage, the rest of us start walking to the mansion as well. Seen in broad daylight, it doesn't look so creepy any more; but I still preffer my old house better.

"I hope Bobby can do whatever he does to get us out of trouble", Amara says as we enter.

"Do what?" Rahne looks resigned. "We're doomed."

"Well, in that case, I'll be in my room, waiting for the inevitable, 'Amara Aquilla, please report to my office'." Amara starts going up the stairs. "Oh, and tell Ray he's a maniac."

Rahne and I also head for our room. First thing I notice when we enter is that there are two beds now. I drop on one of them, close my eyes and sigh.

Rahne also drops on her bed. "Hey Elsie?" she tries timidly.

"Yeah?"

"Your eyes... they..."

"Glow. Yeah, I know." I take off my shades. "Look darn cool, don't they."

"Yeah, they do."

After five minutes or so, there is a knock on the door, and Bobby comes in without waiting for an invitation. "Victory", he says, beaming. "We're off the hook."

Rahne sighs with relief, "Thankies, Bobby."

Bobby turns to me. "You owe me a McBurger", he gloats.

"Uh... yeah. A bet's a bet. But what did you-"

"Oh, I told him I'd tell Jean about those love poems he wrote to her."

I loose my jaw. "Scott writes poetry?"

"Yup! Definately lame, too. 'You're the burning sun of my crimson horizon'? How pathetic is that?"

"I think it's nice", Rahne cuts in. "He really likes her."

"Yeah, but she likes Duncan."

"No she doesn't!"

I cut in, "Who's Duncan?"

"Big football star. Real jerk, too. Worse than Ray on a bad hair day."

"Wow." I definately can imagine that.

Suddenly, the PA sistem comes to life. "Elsie Wright, please come to my office immediately", Xavier's voice comes out.

I sigh and rub my forehead. Like I didn't know that was coming.


Chapter 9: Blahy blahy blah blah

As I close in to Prof X's office door, I can't help a small sigh. Anything bad happens? Pick on the newbie. That's a classic rule.

Before I go in, I listen at the door. I know it's not nice, but it's definately practical, for what I hear is definately very interesting.

"Hank, are you sure?" That's Prof X's voice, no doubt. He sounds surprised.

"All results show it, Charles", another voice answers. Umm... Hank."Besides, you formulated this theory a while ago, remember?"

"Yes, but... but it was only a theory! My estimations were at least of a generation or two!"

"Well, it happened now." This one's definately Logan. "So what?"

"This means that mutants have been existing for far longer than we thought, Logan", Xavier says, and I can guess a trace of exasperation in his voice. "And it means that it is possible for more... unusual mutants to exist."

"Unusual...?" Two voices at once. Logan and somebody else. It had to be... Oh no. Scott.

"Yes, mutants that have two or three abilities combined for a start. In future generations, we may see mutants with at least a dozen different powers."

"Jean has telepathy and telekinesys", Scott cuts in. "Is it possible that-"

"No, Scott. Telepathy and telekinesys both relate to the mind. What I'm talking about is radically different abilities, like pyrokinetic and shape-shifting, for instance."

"That's definately an 'Ouch' combination." I grin at Logan's remark.

"True, but possible in theory. Now-"

"Charles, if what Hank is saying is true, then we got a dilemma on our hands here. Do we tell the kid, or do we let her discover it on her own?"

Silence. I wonder who's the person they're discussing about... wait a second. Tests? Hank took a blood sample from me yesterday and said something about running some tests! So, it could all be about...

"I think Elsie knows about this already, at least in part."

...me.

Hold it. How does Prof X know that-

Oh, right. He can read minds.

Suddenly, the door opens, and I come face to face with Scott. Rats.

"Uh... hi there, Scott."

He glares at me, "Hi." I can tell he's really pissed about us takinf his car and all. Like I said, blame it on the newbie.

"Come in, Elsie", Prof X says, breaking our little staring contes. It's hard to tell what we're doing with our eyes though, since we both wear shades. True, his are red and mine are dark.

"I'm guessing you overheard the last part of our conversation?"

"I... well..." He's a telepath. Keep that in mind. No dumb stuff. "Kinda."

"Very well. I guess you wonder what we were talking about."

I'm dying to know. "Yeah."

"As you know, your physical mutation is a result of a different gene in your DNA, which I called the X-gene. In time, the X-gene itself can suffer mutations, thus modifying one's physical abilities. If the gene is passed on to a second or third generation of mutants, then it is likely for it to cross paths with other mutant genes, enabling the respective mutant to gain more than one power."

Blahy blahy blah blah. The point?

"Hank's been running some tests on your blood sample, and he claims that you could posses a mutated X-gene."

If he read my mind of what I thought a minute ago, I'm doomed. "And...?"

"This means you could be more gifted than you thought."

Now we're getting somewhere! "I kinda noticed that earlier today. I don't know if it has something to do with what you told me earlier, but-" I take off my shades "-my eyes just started glowing today."

"Could this mean she's developing optic blasts as well?" Scott asks.

No. Not optic blasts. Anything but that.

"This remains to be seen, Scott. However, until we know for sure, you are to wear these", and with that Xavier hands me a pair of blue shades. I take off my black ones and put on the blue ones.

Logan grins. "Looks like you got yerself a lil' sister, Scott", he jokes.

Scott looks rather unconfortable. "Yeah."

"Well, since that's settled, I just want you to report any ususual manifestations you encounter. And don't worry - we'll help you."

Hank and Logan grin assuringly at this.

"Thanks, Professor."

"You may leave, if you don't have any other matters to discuss."

"Yeah, well, I..." I turn to Scott, "Can I have a word with you? Outside?"

Scott raises an eyebrow, "Okay... Professor?"

Xavier makes a dismissing gesture.

Once outside, I sigh. "Scott, look. I'm really sorry that we took your car today. Really. We were jerks. We-"

"It's OK", he cuts in. "It's not the first time. Don't worry, I'm used to it by now." He puts a conforting hand on my shoulder and we both start to walk down the corridor. "But Ray Crisp is doomed when I catch him alone", he finishes with a smirk.

"And I'll help you", I answer. I don't know why, but this makes me feel much, much better.


Chapter 10: I make this suit look good.

When I finally get to my room, there's no sign of Rahne anywhere. On my bed, I find a large box, and a note: "Meet you in the common room. Everyone else is there. Rahne." I open the box; inside it, there is a blue suit, with black and red X signs on the shoulders and belt, and a small... err, thingie. Attached to it, there's another note: "By the way, this is a standard communicator. We all got one. Ray'll show you how to work it out. Hopefully." The last word is written in tiny letters. I find yet another note attached to the suit, "And this is the standard uiform of the X-recruits. Hope it's your size. Can't wait to see how it looks on you."

A standard uniform? Thought I was a bit special. Well, above the 'standard uniform' thingie, anyway. Then again, sometimes I tend to exaggerate my own potential and reduce other people's.

In less than a minute, I'm all suited up. I look in the mirror. Yup, blue's definately my color. Only thing that bothers me is the shades, but I wouldn't like to go ballistic and bring the whole place down just because I hate wearing shades, neither. Which reminds me, I've never actually seen Scott's powers. Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? Dunno. And I guess I don't wanna find out.

The note Rahne left me says, 'Can't wait to see how it looks on you', so I leave the uniform on, do a double-take in the mirror and speed off. Destination: the common room.

Easier said than done. In less than a minute, I'm lost. I can tell I'm somewhere on the second floor, but that's about as far as I realize.

"Lost your vay?"

"Huh?"

I jump aside, startled. The guy that appeared, seemingly, from nowhere, grins at me. He's got fangs, blue fur, yellow eyes and a tail... hold on, that's Kurt.

"Sorry if I scared you."

"No, that's okay, you... didn't." I'm lying there, he scared the breath outta me. But hey, being nice is my specialty.

"So, again - lost your vay, liebchen?"

"*Sigh*. Is it that obvious?"

"Ja. Vhere do you vant to go?"

"Err... the common room."

"Vhich one?"

Snarl. How should I know? "Where the new recruits hang around...?"

"Oh, zat one!"

"I'll take a wild guess and assume that you're german", I say, smiling.

Kurt grins widely."Is it zat obvious?" he says, mocking me.

This time, I chuckle. "About as obvious as a fifty-foot tall teddy-bear on the rampage in Mahnattan", I answer.

He chuckles, too. "Vell, in zat case, come on!" He extends his hand, "I'll take you zere."

"Okay..." I warily take his hand. His fur is soft and silky... kinda reminds me of my pet cat. As a matter of fact, I do wonder what Harry - my silly brother Rich named it that way after he saw Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - is doing at the moment. Hmm... probably hunting down mice. Yuck.

"Hang on, ve're in for a ride!"

"What?" All of a sudden, a bright flash of light occurs, and I have to shield my eyes. I feel like I've desintegrated for a second... and then, it's all over.

"You can open your eyes now, mein freund."

I do so, and I grin sheepishly. "Wow."

"Zat was telleportation. Up for more?"

I growl, "No. Not now, anyway."

"Fine zen - here's ze door. Auf widerszien!" Witht that, he 'ports away.

So, that is how it feels like when you 'port. Creepy. I hope that's not my second ability. I really hope it isn't.

I grab the door know and prepare to make a dramatic entrance, when suddenly, I hear a voice, "Oh Ray, you're so immature!"

That sounds a bit like Amara. I pause, my hand still on the door knob. Then comes Ray's voice, "I am not!"

Uh-oh. Not the right time for disturbing, I think to myself.

"She wasn't doing anything wrong", comes Sam's voice. "She was just... I mean, they were just... talking!"

"You should've been there. The way Maximoff was looking at her... I bet he was up to something! I-"

"Up to what?" Sam sounds a bit annoyed. "Really. Mystique's gone, he's got nothing to gain - so what could he possibly do?"

...Who the heck's Mystique?

"I don't know... I... that's not the point!"

"Ooh, I get it!" This one's Roberto. "Ray's afraid of a little competition!"

Everyone laughs at that. Then comes Amara's voice, "Ray, you're an idiot. Give the girl a rest, will you? She's only been here for a day. It's her own decision who she speaks to. You can't do anything about it."

"Eavesdropping again, are we?"

"What?"

For the second time in less than ten minutes, I turn around, startled. Scott grins at me.

"No, I... I was just about... to go in, yeah..."

I notice Scott's also wearing his X-Men uniform. He looks totally hot with that visor. "Had a Danger Room session", he answers my unspoken session. You know-"

"Yeah, the Professor told me all about it." And I mentally sleeped through it, I add to myself.

"Nice suit", he says with yet another grin.

"Thanks. But - know the difference between you and me?"

"Um... I'm a boy and you're a girl?"

"Wrong. I - make this suit look good."

We both laugh at this.

Suddenly, the door jerks open, and Ray almost bumps into me. He looks me up and down for a second, then comments, "Nice", before heading off.

"What's with him?" Scott asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Uh... you don't want to know. You really, truly and totally don't want to know." With that, I go inside the common room.

My arrival is greeted with a bunch of cheers. Bobby runs and hugs me, then Roberto carries me across the room. "Meet - the newest X-Woman!" he proclaims solemnly. Remarks like, "Lookin' good!", "Totally cool!" and so on come from all directions.

I beam at one and all at the same time as Roberto finally puts me down. For the first time, the Institute actually feels like home.


Chapter 11: Suppose that...

"Maybe it's shapeshifting!"

"Or some kind of cool mutated physical form, like Rahne when she's half-wolf!"

"Hey!"

"Or, maybe she can shoot electricity bolts, like Ray can! Ain't that right, Berzerker ol' pal?"

"*Snarl* Shut up, Drake."

"Charming."

This has been going on for about three hours now, minus forty-five minutes for lunch (which, by the way, was absolutely delicious). We've covered every last possible mutation, from basic flight or telekinesys to remote object teleportation, ability to travel back and forth in time or super-intelligence. Hmph. Thought I had that one already. *Sigh*. In any case...

"Hey, listen up! I've been thinking, how about we ask Cyke if he had any strange eye condition before he went all ballistic."

"Okay, but you'll ask him."

"No, you will."

"No, you will."

"You."

"You!"

"It was your idea."

"No, it was your idea."

"*Sigh* Guys..."

Both Bobby and Sam glare at each other, then at me. "Sorry", they mutter at the same time.

I roll my eyes. "You guys have been going on like this forever. Can we please discuss something else now before my head blows up?"

"But it's so fun! You know, unleashing our creative potential! Makes the time go by easier you know!"

If looks could kill, then I'd be doing a happy dance over Amara's grave by now. "Look. This may be cool for you, but I'm starting to feel like a little lab rat here. End of discussion. Capiche?"

Very, very reluctant, the others agree. Well, spank you very much.

Suddenly, Roberto glares at his watch. "Oh no."

"'Oh no' what?" I ask.

"Only ten minutes left til training", he answers.

"Training?" Rats. I hoped I'd be able to find a trick and skip training this afternoon. If it's half as bad as this morning, then I won't live to know which my second mutation is.

Before I know it, the others scramble through the door. Rahne quickly puts on her uniform; since I'm already wearing mine, there's no problem with that.

New recruits, please report to the entrance hall for instructions regarding this afternoon's training.

That was Xavier's voice, again coming from the PA system. Hmm... if this place had a cool DJ, one that would play songs on request and give dedications to-

"Planet Earth calling Blue-Eyes! Come on, we're late!"

"...right." I really let my thoughts drift away there. So... on to whatever expects me in the entrance hall. I bolt after Rahne, my legs practically screaming with the effort. As I almost crash down the stairs again, I can't help thinking with a sigh, 'Why me...?'


Chapter 12: I don't believe it.

"Good to see you're all prep for training", Scott greets us with a joyful smirk.

Next to me, Rahne makes a face, "Yeah, right. We're so enthusiastic about it."

"I'd rather kiss Kurt", Jubilee cuts in.

The others snicker evilly. "You know", Bobby says, "you two wouldn't look that bad as a couple. Not at all!"

"Why you little-"

"Ahem." Scott frowns at us, though it's hard to tell because of his visor. Really cool visor, I must say. Makes a girl dream about-

"Elsie? Hello-o! Come on, we're moving!" Rahne tugs my arm. "Really. Were you in La-La Land again?"

"Wha'? Oh, sorry, left my mind wonder a bit there. So... where are we going?" I ask as I get moving along with the others."

"Well, judging from the looks of things, I'd take a wild guess and assume we're gonna have-"

But she doesn't need to finish that sentence. In the backyard of the mansion - though it's hard to call this huge landing a 'backyard' - there's a huge, evil-looking...

"-pool training", I mutter. "Damn."

"What's wrong with pool training?" Amara wants to know.

"Well, um - nothing." Except that I can't swim any better than a rollerskate would. And the water looks pretty deep.

"Okay, people, listen up. Today we're practising aquatical rescue. Now I want you to look very closely, Jean and I will make a demonstration."

"I'll take a wild guess and assume that Red over there is Jean", I whisper to Jamie, who happens to be standing to my right.

"Yup, that's Jean. Scott's big crush, too."

"Figures."

"Okay now. Jean - in you go."

"I hate this stuff", I hear Jean muttering before she jumps into the pool, splats of water flying everywhere. "Okay, goggle-boy, here I am."

"Good. Now, watch - and learn." In a swift move, Scott goes for a dive, then swims up to Jean, grabs her tightly and swims back up, getting out of the pool with her in his arms. Suddenly, Jean goes as red as her hair.

"Scott!"

Scott raises an eyebrow, "What?"

"What - what you're thinking, it's..."

"Oh!" It's Scott's turn to blush. "Well, I..."

"Put me down. Now."

Scott complies, having the facial expression of a chipmunk. Some of us chuckle.

"Think that's funny, do you?"

"Yes!" Bobby's grin is wide. "'Mutant Manor drama, part one."

Scott clears his throat and tries to ignore the giggles. "Well, for your information, I'm ignoring you completely. Now. You'll split up in pairs. One will play the victim, the other the rescuer. Okay, Bobby with Jubilee, Rahne with Jamie, Roberto with Amara, Elsie with Ray, and Roberto... with me. Ready?"

Oh great. Me and Ray. Scott Summers, I'll kill you for this...

"Uh, Scott? One word please."

"Yeah?"

"Er..." I walk up to him. Now I notice how tall he is. I'm literally looking up to him. "Don't mean to sound like a looser, but I... well, I can't... you know, swim."

"Oh." Scott makes a face. "Well, in that case then... okay! Ray, you're with Roberto", Scott then says more loudly. "Elsie, take five."

"'Smatter, Blue-Eyes? Don't like water?" Before I can react, Bobby picks me up and heads for the pool.

"Bobby! Wait! You don't get it! I - Bobby! STOP IT!!"

"Too late! Enjoy the flight!" Bobby swings me around, then I find myself flying above the clear water. I squeeze my eyes shut and hold my breath.

"Oh, God, no, please don't let me die, don't let me drown, no, no, no..." I keep saying, as I wait for the inevitable impact, and then the cold water, and then...

Suddenly I hear someone say, "Well look at that!", but the voice sounds very distant. Then another one says, "Incredible!" It's even more distant. What the bloody hell is going on?

Slowly, cautiously, I open my eyes - and I can't believe what I see. I'm high up in the air, and I mean very high. The others are all looking up at me - no, they're staring at me, jaws hanging. I loose my own jaw. No way Bobby could've thrown me that far.

Then, I do the smartest thing I could do, given the situation.

I pass out.


Chapter 13: Shut up, Crisp

Okay, hold her head up straight. That's it, I'll do CPR.

Man, is she OK? She doesn't look so good!

Of course she doesn't look good, stupid. How would you look if you fell into a pool from fifty feet in the air and couldn't swim?

You're acting as though it would be my fault.

It is.

I never could've guessed-

Boys. Shut up.

I can't feel my body, I can hardly breathe, and the voices I hear are blured and distant. Wait - I can feel one thing...

Cold.

My whole body is stiff, and I can't move a limb. What in my Great Aunt Marge's name happened?

Suddenly, I feel someone... kissing me? Wow, if this is a dream, it's a damn good one.

I open my eyes. Slowly, things come into focus, although the outlines are still fuzzy. I see Scott glaring at me, and other guys standing behind him, though I can't make out their faces.

"Thanks, Scott... I love you, too..." Mental slap to the forehead. Did I just say that? Man, I won't be able to show my face in public for a loooong time.

Poor Scott looses his jaw. "You okay?" he asks finally.

I groan. "Nope. Head hurts. Feel cold."

Behind him, Bobby takes a cautious peek. "Sorry about that", he says. "But hey, cool moves!" he adds before someone slaps him from behind.

Suddenly, I remember the whole story.

" *Snarl* Gonna kill Bobby. Yup. Gonna kill 'im. Slowly and painfully. Maybe call a couple of friends to help out, too."

"She's delirious", Scott concludes after putting a hand on my forehead. "I'll take her to the infirmary. The rest of you - hey!" Scott shouts, then gets up and runs out of sight. I hear a splash, and then loads of screaming, wild laughter and stuff, and then more splashes.

I hear a sigh. "Never mind, Scott. I'll take Elsie to the infirmary. You just worry about staying alive right now, 'kay?" Somebody picks me up.

"Watch the head", I groan. "Can't you see it says 'fragile' right here?" Yeah, I know I'm delirious, but I'm starting to like it.

"Sorry".

Hey, is that Ray? "Crisp... that you?"

"Yeah. Come on, I'll take you to the infirmary"

"Ray, I can walk. Really, I can. Put me down."

"No you can't."

"Ray..."

"No, and that's final."

Silence.

"Okay, what happened? I mean really, I remember Drake throwing me in the pool, and then I must've started imagining things, 'cause I thought I was flying, and then I fell, and then-"

"You were flying. After that, I guess you passed out and you fell into the pool. I got you out. Then Scott did some CPR..."

"Oh. So he wasn't kissing me after all. Sore luck."

"What?"

"Uh... never mind."

Suddenly, Ray stops. "Elsie, look. About earlier today. I'm sorry. I was a total git. Really, I was. I mean, it's your choice who you befriend with. Really. So-"

"Crisp... Do me one big favor, okay?"

"What favor"

I pillow my head on his shoulder. "Just shut your big, damn mouth. Shush."

"But-"

"I'm not mad at you. Okay? Now can you please put me down? I've got two legs of my own, in case you didn't notice until now."

Although I can't see Ray's face, I can tell he's grinning widely. "Not a chance", he says with a chuckle. "You're my responsability now."

"Your loss." I giggle and close my eyes; and next thing I know, I'm starting to drift away in a peaceful sleep.


Chapter 14: M-hmm

"M-hmm..."

I glare at Hank impatiently, "What?"

He doesn't seem to mind the interruption, or the fact that I call him by his first name. He looks through the microscope again. "Fascinating", he mutters to himself. "Hmm... fascinating indeed."

"Hank..."

"A unique DNA structure, I see. Mmm-hmm... thoroughly-"

"Hank!"

For the first time, he seems to recall my being there. "Um... yes?"

"What's fascinating? And what were you muttering about DNA structures and stuff?"

"Well, as far as I can tell, your DNA structure is like nothing I've ever seen before. It seems to - to keep mutating."

"Whaddya mean, 'keep mutating'?"

"I mean, you may experience new abilities, or loose old ones, in the blink of an eye. Now this isn't a bad thing", Hank says hurriedly. "I don't want you to panic, or anything. Think of all the wonderful new gifts you could be receiving."

Gifts? One day, I may turn into a huge freaky thing, and that would certainly not be a gift! Out of common sense though, I don't say that.

"Cool!" I hear Ray saying.

Ray's the one who carried me down to the infirmary after the pool incident, then he insisted that he stayed with me. For once, I didn't mind his presence. "Hey, why don't you try your new 'ability' now?" he asks with a wild grin.

Hank glares at him. "I really don't thinkt his is the time or the place to-"

"Hey, come on! She'll have to get used to it sooner or later!"

"Frankly, I'm not sure I can still do that. I mean, if we are to consider what happened, I can - fly..."

"Exactly." Ray's grin gets dreamy. "Just like an angel."

Corny. I would've thought Ray to be a bit more inventive than that. "Geez, I don't know about this..."

I stand up. Both Ray and Hank look at me. I shrug, "What do I do?"

"Dunno, concentrate! Think you're - floating or something"

"Well, okay... here goes."

I take a small leap, and, much to my surprise, I stay in the air.

"Okay, this is weird", I mutter as I just... float around. Hank and Ray are cheering. Although I have no idea how I do it, I slowly do a tour of the lab, then 'land'.

"That was incredible!" Ray is practically beaming. "Do it again!"

More confident this time, I raise at my own will, then I begin flying in tight circles around Hank. "I'm a mousquito", I say with a giggle. "Buzz-z-z!"

"I forgot my bug spray upstairs", he says with a grin.

By the time, I'm practically delirious. I managed to get an almost complete hold over my new-found power, and I love it! I fly a bit faster, then I end up zooming around the lab at top speed. Until...

"LOOK OUT!" Both Hank and Ray scream at the same time. Too late. I crash into a glass panel; miraculosly, it holds. Good for it and bad for me. I land on the floor with a tump; waving my hands in the air, I desperately try to grab on to something. I manage to do that - unluckily, it's a test tube. Before I know it, I end up with something purple and smelly all over myself.

Hank rushes to the rescue, with Ray in hot pursuit. "Are you okay?" he asks gently.

I shakily get up. "About as 'OK' as if I was hit by an entire battlefleet."

"Come on, I'll help you to your room." That's Ray, helpful as usual.

"I can... manage it... Hank, does this stuff come off? What is it, anyway?"

Hank makes a face. "Umm, it's... well, it's... you won't like this."

"I won't like, what?" I have a bad feeling about this. Really bad feeling about this.

"That was a permanent hair painting formula. I'm afraid your hair will stay as it is. Sorry."

My hair is gonna be purple?! "Hank... it will grow back in its normal color... won't it?"

"Yes." Mental sigh of relief. "When I manage to find a counter-formula." WHAT ?!

"I'll kill you", I say softly, before realizing it. Oops. "I mean, I-"

"It's OK. Just go upstairs, take a shower and... and I'll be working on the formula. Yeah. Go now."

"Come on." Ray tugs my arm, and we both enter the elevator.

Well, what can I say? I totally need a shower.


Chapter 15: Whatcha' do, stick your head inside a petunia or somethin'?

The rest of the day goes out in a blur: take a shower, toss my purple-stained uniform into a washing machine at the laundry (took me 'bout half an hour just to find the laundry), hang out with Rahne, Amara and Jubes - and then came the moment I have dreaded since I realized my hair was irreversibly purple. Dinner.

~

I'm stuffing myself with french fries and look straight at my plate. I'm not wearing shades any more, but at the moment, I wish I was. Every time I raise my eyes from the plate, I can see someone staring at me. Once, when I look around to find some salt, I notice Logan isn't at the table. That's a relief. I don't know why, but I have a feeling he would find this whole new-purple-hair-look stuff very amusing.

"Hey everyone! Sorry I'm late, I had to take care of some business."

So much for Logan not seing me. God, Please, don't let him see me like this...

"Hey, Blue-eyes!"

Oh, no.

I do my best to look back at him innocently, "Yeah?"

"Whatcha' do, stick your head inside a petunia or somethin'?"

The other students start to giggle softly. Ray, who sits next to me, glares daggers around, then hisses, "Shut up!" Nobody seems to mind.

"Err, no, I-"

"Actually, I'm afraid that's my doing, Logan. At least, in part. You see-"

"I accidentally took one of Hank's test tubes to be full of shampoo", I say quickly. Then I resist the urge to bang my head against the table. That was very, very lame.

Now everyone stares at me, jaws hanging. Everyone except for Chuckles. I guess he knows the whole ordeal by now.

"Oh, I... see." For once, Logan looks flabbergasted. I don't blame him.

The rest of the meal, I keep my eyes down on my plate. Half way through desert, I get up. "Um... can I be excused? I'm really tired."

"Of course."

"Thanks, Professor!" I practically bolt out of the dining room, then I run up the stairs.

Wait a minute.

This time, I slap my forehead. What's the point in running out of breath, when I can simply fly upstairs?

There. Easy as pie. I drop on my bed with a sigh.

This had been a very long day.

I don't want to know how tomorrow's gonna be...


Chapter 16: Late night encounter

"Rahne? Rahne, are you asleep?"

No answer. I can hear Rahne's soft breathing. She's definately asleep.

I'm trying to empty my head and do the same. Today was tough, and I have every clue that tomorrow's going to be the same. But I can't just say , 'that's it, I pressed the off button, good night', no matter how much I wish to just fall asleep and forget...

Suddenly, a thought strikes me. Back home, when I couldn't sleep at night, I usually sneaked out the window and took a walk around the neighborhood. When I came back, I always felt better and fell asleep easily.

"Rahne?" I try again.

Rahne mutters something in her sleep, then buries her head under the covers. She's not awake as I'm not the Great Lady Pontiff of Vatican.

I quietly slip out of my bed, then rummage through my luggage and put on a pair of jeans and a tank top. Rats, forgot to unpack today. Like I had time to, anyway...

I open the window and go out on the balcony. I look down at the ground. It's now very far away. Still, I only flew twice before in my life: first time, I passed out, and last time I got this purple stuff on my hair. Rats, I should've taken a cap or something. If somebody saw me like this...

Stop.

Rewind.

"...if somebody saw me..."

Right! What if somebody sees me flying?

That's right! You can't do this! What were you thinking? the rational part of my mind whispers.

Well, I don't have to fly. Just get away from the Institute without triggering any alarm, and then-

And then there's not a soul in sight for a mile radius. No buildings, no cars, maybe a couple of stray dogs.

Good. Then nobody'll disturb me.

But it's boring!

"Shut up", I hiss to myself. "What's the harm in taking a walk?"

At this time?

My inner monologue stops as I feel a strange, yet gentle presence in my mind. That's gotta be Prof X... or Jean. If they catch up on what I'm doing... I'm certainly gonna get a corfew.

I take a small leap, then fly away at top speed. As I fly over the fence, one of my sandals slips and falls. I descend and look for it, but I can't find it anywhere. I sigh and reluctantly fly away. I'll look for it tomorrow, in daylight.

After five minutes or so, I reach a look-out point. I spot a giant tree , and I land on a branch close to the top. I look below; there it is, Bayville, in all its glory. Or rather, lack thereof. I must say though, it's much more relaxing than the NY suburbian landscape. A gentle breeze combs my hair. I didn't realize it until now, but at the Institute I was always nervous and had a tendency to snap at anyone. I felt crowded; after all, there were lots of people there, and I'm not sociable by definition. Here it's just me - and my thoughts.

I look at my watch: it's three in the morning. I wonder what my family is doing right now. I'm guessing my parents are asleep, and Rich is surfing on the Internet again. He loves that. He says he's a net-addict and a good hacker. I say he's a nerd. Then again, who am I to talk?

Suddenly, I hear a cough down below. Now what in the world was that? I lean down and try to peek discreetly through the branches. Keyword: try. The branch I sit on breaks with a loud crack. After a blur of branches, leafs and shiny little stars, I hit the ground hard. Ow.

"Are you okay?" I hear a voice.

I groan. Only after that I realize there's someone else there.

Pietro waves his hand, his eyes twinkilng. "Hello, Blue-Eyes".