I haven't been writing because finals took up some much of my time, any more German and my brain is going to explode. After seeing X2 I've been kind of focused, but that still didn't keep my teachers from giving me summer homework, sigh, this is my procrastination.

That and my friend Liz, she did a picture of Hope! Since I can't put a link here, you can go to a site called Elfwood and search for Lizzie Bundick, or you can e-mail me and I'll send you think link.

~***~

A New Hope: Chapter Four

~***~

Hope had not expected to wake up to the sound of thundering footsteps and loud voices. It threw her, to hear laughing and shouting without someone asking for a suture kit or 5 C.C.s of epi. Hope lay in bed for a second; enjoying the sensation of sleeping in and not having to be on shift in an hour or ever. Yet a new duty called and Hope pulled herself from bed and dressed for they day, unsure of what to wear Hope went with what she would normally wear for a day at Charity. A simple black skirt and white top. Hope pulled her hair back into a bun and looked at herself in the mirror. They're just kids, she told herself, listening as something in the hallway exploded and the kids groaned at it. They're kids with extraordinary powers, but they are still just kids. With the pep talk still in mind Hope opened her door and watched the action in the hall. Students were making ready for school, some were obviously well used to mornings here, while others were still carrying tooth brushes or still in their pajamas. She smiled and stepped into the flow. It was like being in Charity when the Sea Food festival came into town, Hope thought. The kitchen was just as hectic, students grabbing muffins, fruit, and other breakfast foods as they called to each other about their plans. Hope waited patiently for her turn, enjoying the greetings that were cast her way and took a very healthy breakfast considering all the sugary and tempting cereals that were offered to her. It was like being in high school all over again, Hope thought, watching two students run smack into each other, while everyone else laughed, Hope suppressed the urge to ask if anything was broken. She sniffed at her coffee and felt ten times more awake. While the students around Hope hurried to make it to school on time, Hope sat back in her chair at the table and watched the chaos. There was nothing like mornings at the Institute, it was a three ring circus with all the intensity of a world class coaster, and Hope was enjoying herself immensely, just by watching.

"Good morning, Doctor," Ororo as she took the seat next to Hope.

"Good morning, Ororo, tell me are mornings always like this?" Hope asked, watching one student appear in a puff of black smoke, his name would be Kurt, if Hope remembered correctly.

"Yes, most mornings are like this. It settles around through on weekends and during summer breaks," Ororo watched the students with love, Hope could easily see it in her eyes. Deep affection made Hope think of Charity and all the members of the staff there.

"I was wondering if you have the students who will be helping me in the hospital wing during the afternoon?" Hope asked, pulling a grape free from the bunch she had taken with her.

"Oh, yes, Logan and I thought that it would be best if Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde helped you out, they are two of our more cautious and responsible students here," Ororo replied taking a sip from her own mug of coffee.

"Good, I'll be spending my time there, once I finish breakfast." Hope watched some of the last students filter out and disappear.

"You won't be working on your theories during the day?" Ororo sounded surprised at that, and Hope smiled over at her.

"Once I have the hospital organized and everything is in its place I'll get to working on that. Maybe I'll unpack then too,"

"Have you unpacked yet?"

"No, I actually was working on more theories last night and when I should have been unpacking," Hope ran a hand over her hair, a habit she had picked up and had never gotten rid of. "Can you show me where the hospital wing is? I was in such a hurry when Jubilee needed to be treated I never logged where it was."

"Of course, we'll wait for after breakfast though, I have to wait around for the students who sleep in."

"I don't know how anyone could sleep with a World War going on right outside the door," Hope sighed, and smiled as Charles came into the room, "Good morning, Mr. Xavier."

"Good morning, Doctor Chandler, Ororo, I believe all the students have gone, so there's no need to drive anyone," Charles levitated his breakfast over to the table and joined the two already sitting there.

"Good, I've had to drive Bobby for the past three days, I don't know why the boy can't seem to wake up on time," Ororo said with a shake of her head.

"Does he eat properly?" Hope asked, out of reflex.

"I saw him take almost all of the food," Ororo commented, looking down at her own plate, musing over something.

"He may just being going through a growth spurt, they normally cause an increased appetite, but my theories are running towards the idea that many of those with the X-gene have many quirks and some of them maybe the over extension of powers lead to a physical drain, thus they eat more to make up the lost energy," Hope read, from the huge list of side ideas she had on the X-gene and its effects.

"That's a very interesting theory," Charles said, "I would like to hear more of them."

"I've only got one really solid theory," Hope blushed, she didn't mind the idea that someone could read them in a magazine, but discussing them face to face made her a bit jumpy. She swallowed the nerves, theses were people who lived with it, "That all of those with the X-gene have three basic adjustments to the normal human DNA."

"Well, what are they?" Hope jumped, Logan had walked in and as normal Hope had not noticed, but she met his eyes coolly.

"The first is a physical change of the person themselves, the second is physical change of the world around them, and the manipulation of others," Hope explained, ticking off the three she had discovered or invented however you wanted to put it.

"That seems very simple," Commented Ororo, but Hope found herself shaking her head.

"It's not, many of those with the X-gene can fall under two categories. Such as Jean Grey, she can manipulate those around her, and the world around her, those would be two categories." Hope noticed the skeptic look Logan was shooting her, "And if I may ask, what are your powers, Mr. Logan?"

Hope gasped as three long, steel claws appeared out of the fist Logan made, "Healing, and these puppies."

"Well, you're a bad example then, for you only fit in the first category, but I'm sure you can find examples of those who fit into two or more." Hope paused to look down at her watch, "I better get to work, if you are finished Ororo?"

"Yes," Ororo pushed back from the table and Hope rose with her, she remembered that the hospital wing was very well stocked, but a little disorganized. She had taken that as a good sign, they didn't need to have everything in order so they could find it quickly, so they let it go. "How long have you been dealing with the X-gene?" Ororo asked casually as they walked towards the hospital wing.

"I first started seriously perusing the topic back five years ago. It took me a very long time to find some mutants who were willing to talk about their X-genes, and then it took me a long time to find someone who wants to publish this controversial ideas." Hope gave a shake of her head, "I don't see the difference between man and mutant, if you want to put it that way, as nothing more than a genetic anomaly, to me, that's just like the difference between skin color and eye color."

"You are a very rare type of person, Doctor," Ororo stopped outside a door, and opened the door, "Here you are, the hospital wing, I'll send the students here when they get home." Hope nodded and walked into hospital wing. It was painted a nice comforting yellow, and the three beds that were sitting waiting for patients looked to be comfy enough. With a sigh Hope faced the first set of cabinets, when she opened it and everything inside spilled out, Hope sighed again, this was going to take awhile.

~***~

"Logan, I'd like to speak with you," Charles said when his friend settled across from him.

"Alright, Charles, what about?" Logan asked, spearing a sausage with one claw.

"Have you figured out what caused the platform to jump, that day Jubilee was hurt?"

Logan instantly got a sour look on his face, and Charles saw him run his tongue over his teeth, a habit he had when annoyed or confused, "No, and I've run every test possible, the platform is in perfect order. Works like a charm, now."

"None of the students involved in that exercise could have done anything to the platform, without us knowing?" Charles asked carefully.

Logan looked up and met Charles's eyes with one eyebrow raised, "What are you thinking Charles? You know none of the kids involved could do something to the platform and leave it untouched."

"How long has it been since Magneto's last attack?" Charles moved away from the table to the window, looking out on the school grounds.

"It's been awhile, Charles, but you would have sensed something if Magneto had done something to the platform." Logan groaned when Charles didn't fill in the pause, "You can't possibly be serious? He's back to attacking us?"

"It's just a feeling, Logan, that's all." Charles shrugged.

"Is this the same feeling that you got from the Doc?" Logan asked casually, leaning back against his chair, propping his feet up on the table.

"I know you have problems with hiring a non-mutant, Logan, but the Doctor will be important to getting mutant accepted to the normal world. She's doing great things, right now, and when the world accepts her idea she go on to do greater things."

"All this from a feeling from a Doctor, and you don't have anything on Magneto," Logan gave a shake of his head, "You need to focus on what's really important, Charles." Charles gave Logan a knowing smile, and Logan just rolled his eyes.

~***~

Hope was annoyed beyond belief with the hospital wing and the mess whoever had organized it left it in. She had been here all morning and had managed to only sort through the first line of cabinets. There was no excuse for this, Hope thought, pulling another tangled mass of Ace bandages free from a cabinet, this one had not spilled out when she had opened it. She was glad Jean and Kitty would be helping her this afternoon, but if she was going to do this every morning she was going to go insane. It was nothing like Charity which had a small army of nurses that kept everything in order. Hope let loose a cruse as a bottle of compazine fell to the floor and exploded spilling glass and medicine everywhere.

"Colorful language, Doc," Hope felt like cursing again and Logan walked into the room, his hands stuffed into his pockets, obviously not here to help.

"Thank you, Mr. Logan, is there something I can help you with?" Hope teetered on the tips of her toes, carefully pushing a box of something back on to a shelf so that it didn't crash into her head, she had enough bumps from the stuff that had cascaded out of the shelves.

"No, I just thought I'd see if you were hurt." Hope puffed out a breath to push the little strand of hair that had fallen before her eyes and missed Logan's quick smile.

"Well I'm not, so if you don't mind, I'd prefer to have help or be left alone," Hope snapped, stepping back with an armful of medical charts carelessly heaped in a manila folder. She stacked them on top of the pile of other paper work she had found within the depths of the shelves.

"What do you need?" Hope had to admit she was surprised, when Logan stepped towards the cabinets without a second thought. There wasn't a lot Hope knew about Logan as a person, but she never thought he's easily change from kind of stand off-ish attitude he had shown before to this willing helpful person.

"Just help me with making sure nothing falls, such as that bottle that you heard me lament." Hope ran a hair through her hair, which was escaping the bun she had put it in. This was going to be a challenge, a bigger challenge that Hope had originally figured on.

"So, hang back until you need me?" Logan asked standing back and watching her with those intense eyes.

"Yes, but keep your hands busy will you, try to make sure the mess I am making outside of the cabinets doesn't become impossible." Hope said, facing the cabinets with renewed zeal. Of course renew zeal never lasts as long as you need it to, Hope thought, catching a bottle of antiseptic as is dropped from the top shelf. Of course there was the box full of antiseptic that was falling towards her head also. Hope braced herself for it to smack cleanly into her head, but it never came. Hope had forgotten about Logan, but she was very aware of him now. He was standing behind her, one arm raised to catch the box, of course this pressed his chest against Hope's back. Beyond surprised about being uncomfortable, Hope stiffened as Logan pulled the box down and stepped away. Once he had stepped away, Hope didn't relax, but she tried her hardest to act like it.

"Thanks," Hope said, a little annoyed at being breathless, "I thought I would end up germ free."

"That's what I'm here for," Logan commented, setting the antiseptic down.

"Of course, I'm really grateful for your help," Hope sighed, looking over the mess that was now lying over all three beds. "I'm going to be really grateful when Jean and Kitty come to help." Hope's mind jumped to a question and before remembering Logan didn't talk much she asked, "What do you do at this school exactly?"

Logan looked like he was musing over the answer, which wasn't what Hope wanted, "I do this and that," he said on a shrug. Of course, Hope thought, turning back to the seemingly endless task of cleaning out just the shelves. "Why don't you take a break?" Logan suggested, passing a bottle of antiseptic between his hands.

"Because, if I take a break I'll never get finished," Hope stated, use to working long and hard hours at Charity, and these shelves and cabinets couldn't be harder than a double shift in Trauma.

"What about lunch?" Logan asked as Hope pushed herself up on her tip toes again, reaching for the top shelf and cursing her height. Note to self, Hope thought, get stepping stool from Ace or Home Depot.

"I don't need lunch," Hope muttered her fingers just barely reaching another file of something on the top shelf. "I can survive on breakfast alone."

"From working at a hospital?" Hope could hear that Logan didn't think much of her choice of careers, but she was use to people who distrusted doctors.

"There's a lot I've learned from working at a hospital," Hope replied, dropping to her feet carefully balancing a large stack of folders.

"Such as?" Logan was giving her the third degree, Hope figured, he was getting very annoying about it.

"I can take more caffeine into my system than any human should be able to," Logan snorted and Hope glared, "I can splint a multiple femur fracture with Ace bandages and an intubation tube. I've been stabbed twice by a patient and still went on with my shift," Hope paused, she was bragging about that which was wrong.

"You've been stabbed on the job?" Logan looked surprised that the hospital could get so frantic.

"Yes, a prisoner tried to hang himself, the guard brought him in, he had a shank hidden in his hand and stabbed myself and a fellow doctor. We both received a few stitches and got back to work," Hope said this casually, but the prisoner had come close to getting Hope's throat. It wasn't one of her better memories at Charity, but there were others, "That's not a typical day, by any means, and that's what was fun." Hope wasn't use to someone meeting her eyes so intensely, no one had a stare like Logan's. Hope refused to look away, she could look a leg run over by a car, she could meet Logan's eyes.

"Doctor, we're here!" In bounded Kitty, and Hope still wouldn't look away.

"Call me Hope, Kitty, I'd prefer it to Doctor," Hope said, contributing her jumpy nerves to having to get to know Jean and Kitty, and not Logan's unblinking stare. "I was just dismissing Mr. Logan here, I hope you two are ready to work?"

"Actually, Hope, Jean has soccer practice until four, she's going to be late," Kitty said, obviously noticing the staring contest, but making now comments about it.

"What?" Hope was finally forced to look away from Logan, which didn't help because he was still looking at her.

"Well, Jean forgot about having it when she volunteered for helping," Kitty shied away from the glare Hope was giving her, and Hope instantly softened her look.

"It's alright, you and I can handle this," Hope said, looking back at Logan, "Thank you for your help, Mr. Logan, I know you're busy this afternoon."

"Any time," Logan walked towards the door, "Kid, make sure you do your homework." And he was gone, though Hope still glared at where he had been, before letting a little sigh escape.

"Kitty, before you start working, what exactly are your powers?" Hope turned towards the girl again, noticing how she looked around the room with a little astonished look.

"I walked through walls," She said, sticking her hand through a table and a pile of suture kits.

"Oh, you're a god send, Kitty, I've been having everything drop out of these top cabinets onto my head since I started this," Hope smiled and had Kitty smiling back. "Okay, let's get back to work." Hope turned back towards the cabinet and noticed that Kitty wasn't much taller than she was, "Kitty, do you know where a step stool is?"

"No, I don't," Kitty said, standing on her tip toes to reach through the cabinet door and pulled out a glass jar filled with cotton balls and thus started the prosperous up swing in the work. Hope let Kitty start the conversation, since Hope felt as though she had heard enough questions asked by her own voice.

"Do you like the Institute?" Kitty asked when the silence had dragged on for what seemed to be a long enough time.

"What I've seen of it," Hope said, carefully pulling down a tray of scalpels. "Everyone here is very welcoming. What about you, Kitty, do you enjoy it?"

"Yeah, this place is great," Kitty was shoulder deep in the cabinet, door closed. It was fascinating for Hope to watch, because Kitty could also pull objects through with her. It is transference of power, Hope thought, how does it work? "Why would you leave a hospital to work here?"

"Well, this is a very interesting experience," Hope mused, "I've got a lot of questions about medical treatment for mutants. Does morphine work the same? In some cases will the side effects of prescription medicine be changed?"

"Those are good questions, but why would you care, I mean no offense, but you're no like us," Kitty hesitate in saying it, and added a blush for an effect, causing Hope to laugh.

"I'm a doctor, first off, Kitty, and if I was still working at the hospital and a mutant came in, how could I treat them if I couldn't get an I.V. line in? Or if my surgical tools slipped through while I was trying to repair a torn spleen?"

"Ewe, how can you not be grossed out by all that blood and guts stuff?" Kitty shivered a bit and Hope laughed again.

"Because you getting covered and blood or guts isn't the worst thing I've been covered in," Hope said with a reminiscing smile, there was nothing like being a doctor.

"Sorry I'm late," Jean said as she came skidding into the room.

"It's alright Jean," Hope turned away from the cabinets, "Why don't you work on organizing the mess out here, while Kitty and I work on the mess still left in these cabinets." Hope sighed and cracked her knuckles, "Can either of you tell me who was in charge of organizing or running this place before I was hired?"

"I think it was Mr. Logan," Kitty said, looking towards Jean for confirmation.

"Yeah, I think that's right." Jean nodded in agreement.

"Do you get many injuries for this place to be like this?" Hope opened another cabinet and was met by a flood of bandages.

"Just minor stuff," Jean answered, levitating the bandages and organizing them.

"Minor enough for you to have a crash cart," Hope said, noting the diphibulator in the corner of the room.

"That's for Berserker, he sometimes stops his own heart," Jean commented, sending the machine a sideways glance.

"What?" Hope was stunned, that just shouldn't be humanly possible.

"He's got this electrical power, sometimes he over loads his own heart," Kitty said, "Mostly does it when he shows off."

"And you all know how to use the crash cart?" Hope thought this was going to be an interesting experience.

"No, Logan, Ororo and I do," Hank walked in, and Hope smiled, finally someone who can explain this, Hope thought.

"Hello, Hank, what can I do for you?" Hope asked, noticing that the hallway outside seemed to be in a furry of activity.

"Charles needs Kitty and Jean to suit up," Hank said, standing to the side as Jean and Kitty went racing out of the hospital wing.

"Hank what's going on?" Hope thundered, amazed that she had finally gotten both her helpers and now they were being whisked away, "I need their help!"

"Everything will be explained, Hope, I'm here to help you clear the beds and make sure you have everything you might need for multiple traumas." Hank said as he began to haul some of the medical papers off the three metal beds.

"What? Hank, you've got to give me more than just I should expect multiple traumas, okay?" Hope ordered, even though she was already helping the clear the beds. Hank walked over to the panel of buttons in the wall and pressed one. On the far blank wall a plasma screen TV appeared and turned on to the news channel. On it a man who looked to be or steroids was lifting cars and tossing them towards innocent bystanders.

"That would be Sabertooth, and he's the reason your helpers were borrowed."

~***~

Look, actual action! I know, I'm evil for leaving this here, but heck, I need to start on my German summer homework, so you can wait. Read and Review, my friends!

I haven't been writing because finals took up some much of my time, any more German and my brain is going to explode. After seeing X2 I've been kind of focused, but that still didn't keep my teachers from giving me summer homework, sigh, this is my procrastination.

That and my friend Liz, she did a picture of Hope! Since I can't put a link here, you can go to a site called Elfwood and search for Lizzie Bundick, or you can e-mail me and I'll send you think link.

~***~

A New Hope: Chapter Four

~***~

Hope had not expected to wake up to the sound of thundering footsteps and loud voices. It threw her, to hear laughing and shouting without someone asking for a suture kit or 5 C.C.s of epi. Hope lay in bed for a second; enjoying the sensation of sleeping in and not having to be on shift in an hour or ever. Yet a new duty called and Hope pulled herself from bed and dressed for they day, unsure of what to wear Hope went with what she would normally wear for a day at Charity. A simple black skirt and white top. Hope pulled her hair back into a bun and looked at herself in the mirror. They're just kids, she told herself, listening as something in the hallway exploded and the kids groaned at it. They're kids with extraordinary powers, but they are still just kids. With the pep talk still in mind Hope opened her door and watched the action in the hall. Students were making ready for school, some were obviously well used to mornings here, while others were still carrying tooth brushes or still in their pajamas. She smiled and stepped into the flow. It was like being in Charity when the Sea Food festival came into town, Hope thought. The kitchen was just as hectic, students grabbing muffins, fruit, and other breakfast foods as they called to each other about their plans. Hope waited patiently for her turn, enjoying the greetings that were cast her way and took a very healthy breakfast considering all the sugary and tempting cereals that were offered to her. It was like being in high school all over again, Hope thought, watching two students run smack into each other, while everyone else laughed, Hope suppressed the urge to ask if anything was broken. She sniffed at her coffee and felt ten times more awake. While the students around Hope hurried to make it to school on time, Hope sat back in her chair at the table and watched the chaos. There was nothing like mornings at the Institute, it was a three ring circus with all the intensity of a world class coaster, and Hope was enjoying herself immensely, just by watching.

"Good morning, Doctor," Ororo as she took the seat next to Hope.

"Good morning, Ororo, tell me are mornings always like this?" Hope asked, watching one student appear in a puff of black smoke, his name would be Kurt, if Hope remembered correctly.

"Yes, most mornings are like this. It settles around through on weekends and during summer breaks," Ororo watched the students with love, Hope could easily see it in her eyes. Deep affection made Hope think of Charity and all the members of the staff there.

"I was wondering if you have the students who will be helping me in the hospital wing during the afternoon?" Hope asked, pulling a grape free from the bunch she had taken with her.

"Oh, yes, Logan and I thought that it would be best if Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde helped you out, they are two of our more cautious and responsible students here," Ororo replied taking a sip from her own mug of coffee.

"Good, I'll be spending my time there, once I finish breakfast." Hope watched some of the last students filter out and disappear.

"You won't be working on your theories during the day?" Ororo sounded surprised at that, and Hope smiled over at her.

"Once I have the hospital organized and everything is in its place I'll get to working on that. Maybe I'll unpack then too,"

"Have you unpacked yet?"

"No, I actually was working on more theories last night and when I should have been unpacking," Hope ran a hand over her hair, a habit she had picked up and had never gotten rid of. "Can you show me where the hospital wing is? I was in such a hurry when Jubilee needed to be treated I never logged where it was."

"Of course, we'll wait for after breakfast though, I have to wait around for the students who sleep in."

"I don't know how anyone could sleep with a World War going on right outside the door," Hope sighed, and smiled as Charles came into the room, "Good morning, Mr. Xavier."

"Good morning, Doctor Chandler, Ororo, I believe all the students have gone, so there's no need to drive anyone," Charles levitated his breakfast over to the table and joined the two already sitting there.

"Good, I've had to drive Bobby for the past three days, I don't know why the boy can't seem to wake up on time," Ororo said with a shake of her head.

"Does he eat properly?" Hope asked, out of reflex.

"I saw him take almost all of the food," Ororo commented, looking down at her own plate, musing over something.

"He may just being going through a growth spurt, they normally cause an increased appetite, but my theories are running towards the idea that many of those with the X-gene have many quirks and some of them maybe the over extension of powers lead to a physical drain, thus they eat more to make up the lost energy," Hope read, from the huge list of side ideas she had on the X-gene and its effects.

"That's a very interesting theory," Charles said, "I would like to hear more of them."

"I've only got one really solid theory," Hope blushed, she didn't mind the idea that someone could read them in a magazine, but discussing them face to face made her a bit jumpy. She swallowed the nerves, theses were people who lived with it, "That all of those with the X-gene have three basic adjustments to the normal human DNA."

"Well, what are they?" Hope jumped, Logan had walked in and as normal Hope had not noticed, but she met his eyes coolly.

"The first is a physical change of the person themselves, the second is physical change of the world around them, and the manipulation of others," Hope explained, ticking off the three she had discovered or invented however you wanted to put it.

"That seems very simple," Commented Ororo, but Hope found herself shaking her head.

"It's not, many of those with the X-gene can fall under two categories. Such as Jean Grey, she can manipulate those around her, and the world around her, those would be two categories." Hope noticed the skeptic look Logan was shooting her, "And if I may ask, what are your powers, Mr. Logan?"

Hope gasped as three long, steel claws appeared out of the fist Logan made, "Healing, and these puppies."

"Well, you're a bad example then, for you only fit in the first category, but I'm sure you can find examples of those who fit into two or more." Hope paused to look down at her watch, "I better get to work, if you are finished Ororo?"

"Yes," Ororo pushed back from the table and Hope rose with her, she remembered that the hospital wing was very well stocked, but a little disorganized. She had taken that as a good sign, they didn't need to have everything in order so they could find it quickly, so they let it go. "How long have you been dealing with the X-gene?" Ororo asked casually as they walked towards the hospital wing.

"I first started seriously perusing the topic back five years ago. It took me a very long time to find some mutants who were willing to talk about their X-genes, and then it took me a long time to find someone who wants to publish this controversial ideas." Hope gave a shake of her head, "I don't see the difference between man and mutant, if you want to put it that way, as nothing more than a genetic anomaly, to me, that's just like the difference between skin color and eye color."

"You are a very rare type of person, Doctor," Ororo stopped outside a door, and opened the door, "Here you are, the hospital wing, I'll send the students here when they get home." Hope nodded and walked into hospital wing. It was painted a nice comforting yellow, and the three beds that were sitting waiting for patients looked to be comfy enough. With a sigh Hope faced the first set of cabinets, when she opened it and everything inside spilled out, Hope sighed again, this was going to take awhile.

~***~

"Logan, I'd like to speak with you," Charles said when his friend settled across from him.

"Alright, Charles, what about?" Logan asked, spearing a sausage with one claw.

"Have you figured out what caused the platform to jump, that day Jubilee was hurt?"

Logan instantly got a sour look on his face, and Charles saw him run his tongue over his teeth, a habit he had when annoyed or confused, "No, and I've run every test possible, the platform is in perfect order. Works like a charm, now."

"None of the students involved in that exercise could have done anything to the platform, without us knowing?" Charles asked carefully.

Logan looked up and met Charles's eyes with one eyebrow raised, "What are you thinking Charles? You know none of the kids involved could do something to the platform and leave it untouched."

"How long has it been since Magneto's last attack?" Charles moved away from the table to the window, looking out on the school grounds.

"It's been awhile, Charles, but you would have sensed something if Magneto had done something to the platform." Logan groaned when Charles didn't fill in the pause, "You can't possibly be serious? He's back to attacking us?"

"It's just a feeling, Logan, that's all." Charles shrugged.

"Is this the same feeling that you got from the Doc?" Logan asked casually, leaning back against his chair, propping his feet up on the table.

"I know you have problems with hiring a non-mutant, Logan, but the Doctor will be important to getting mutant accepted to the normal world. She's doing great things, right now, and when the world accepts her idea she go on to do greater things."

"All this from a feeling from a Doctor, and you don't have anything on Magneto," Logan gave a shake of his head, "You need to focus on what's really important, Charles." Charles gave Logan a knowing smile, and Logan just rolled his eyes.

~***~

Hope was annoyed beyond belief with the hospital wing and the mess whoever had organized it left it in. She had been here all morning and had managed to only sort through the first line of cabinets. There was no excuse for this, Hope thought, pulling another tangled mass of Ace bandages free from a cabinet, this one had not spilled out when she had opened it. She was glad Jean and Kitty would be helping her this afternoon, but if she was going to do this every morning she was going to go insane. It was nothing like Charity which had a small army of nurses that kept everything in order. Hope let loose a cruse as a bottle of compazine fell to the floor and exploded spilling glass and medicine everywhere.

"Colorful language, Doc," Hope felt like cursing again and Logan walked into the room, his hands stuffed into his pockets, obviously not here to help.

"Thank you, Mr. Logan, is there something I can help you with?" Hope teetered on the tips of her toes, carefully pushing a box of something back on to a shelf so that it didn't crash into her head, she had enough bumps from the stuff that had cascaded out of the shelves.

"No, I just thought I'd see if you were hurt." Hope puffed out a breath to push the little strand of hair that had fallen before her eyes and missed Logan's quick smile.

"Well I'm not, so if you don't mind, I'd prefer to have help or be left alone," Hope snapped, stepping back with an armful of medical charts carelessly heaped in a manila folder. She stacked them on top of the pile of other paper work she had found within the depths of the shelves.

"What do you need?" Hope had to admit she was surprised, when Logan stepped towards the cabinets without a second thought. There wasn't a lot Hope knew about Logan as a person, but she never thought he's easily change from kind of stand off-ish attitude he had shown before to this willing helpful person.

"Just help me with making sure nothing falls, such as that bottle that you heard me lament." Hope ran a hair through her hair, which was escaping the bun she had put it in. This was going to be a challenge, a bigger challenge that Hope had originally figured on.

"So, hang back until you need me?" Logan asked standing back and watching her with those intense eyes.

"Yes, but keep your hands busy will you, try to make sure the mess I am making outside of the cabinets doesn't become impossible." Hope said, facing the cabinets with renewed zeal. Of course renew zeal never lasts as long as you need it to, Hope thought, catching a bottle of antiseptic as is dropped from the top shelf. Of course there was the box full of antiseptic that was falling towards her head also. Hope braced herself for it to smack cleanly into her head, but it never came. Hope had forgotten about Logan, but she was very aware of him now. He was standing behind her, one arm raised to catch the box, of course this pressed his chest against Hope's back. Beyond surprised about being uncomfortable, Hope stiffened as Logan pulled the box down and stepped away. Once he had stepped away, Hope didn't relax, but she tried her hardest to act like it.

"Thanks," Hope said, a little annoyed at being breathless, "I thought I would end up germ free."

"That's what I'm here for," Logan commented, setting the antiseptic down.

"Of course, I'm really grateful for your help," Hope sighed, looking over the mess that was now lying over all three beds. "I'm going to be really grateful when Jean and Kitty come to help." Hope's mind jumped to a question and before remembering Logan didn't talk much she asked, "What do you do at this school exactly?"

Logan looked like he was musing over the answer, which wasn't what Hope wanted, "I do this and that," he said on a shrug. Of course, Hope thought, turning back to the seemingly endless task of cleaning out just the shelves. "Why don't you take a break?" Logan suggested, passing a bottle of antiseptic between his hands.

"Because, if I take a break I'll never get finished," Hope stated, use to working long and hard hours at Charity, and these shelves and cabinets couldn't be harder than a double shift in Trauma.

"What about lunch?" Logan asked as Hope pushed herself up on her tip toes again, reaching for the top shelf and cursing her height. Note to self, Hope thought, get stepping stool from Ace or Home Depot.

"I don't need lunch," Hope muttered her fingers just barely reaching another file of something on the top shelf. "I can survive on breakfast alone."

"From working at a hospital?" Hope could hear that Logan didn't think much of her choice of careers, but she was use to people who distrusted doctors.

"There's a lot I've learned from working at a hospital," Hope replied, dropping to her feet carefully balancing a large stack of folders.

"Such as?" Logan was giving her the third degree, Hope figured, he was getting very annoying about it.

"I can take more caffeine into my system than any human should be able to," Logan snorted and Hope glared, "I can splint a multiple femur fracture with Ace bandages and an intubation tube. I've been stabbed twice by a patient and still went on with my shift," Hope paused, she was bragging about that which was wrong.

"You've been stabbed on the job?" Logan looked surprised that the hospital could get so frantic.

"Yes, a prisoner tried to hang himself, the guard brought him in, he had a shank hidden in his hand and stabbed myself and a fellow doctor. We both received a few stitches and got back to work," Hope said this casually, but the prisoner had come close to getting Hope's throat. It wasn't one of her better memories at Charity, but there were others, "That's not a typical day, by any means, and that's what was fun." Hope wasn't use to someone meeting her eyes so intensely, no one had a stare like Logan's. Hope refused to look away, she could look a leg run over by a car, she could meet Logan's eyes.

"Doctor, we're here!" In bounded Kitty, and Hope still wouldn't look away.

"Call me Hope, Kitty, I'd prefer it to Doctor," Hope said, contributing her jumpy nerves to having to get to know Jean and Kitty, and not Logan's unblinking stare. "I was just dismissing Mr. Logan here, I hope you two are ready to work?"

"Actually, Hope, Jean has soccer practice until four, she's going to be late," Kitty said, obviously noticing the staring contest, but making now comments about it.

"What?" Hope was finally forced to look away from Logan, which didn't help because he was still looking at her.

"Well, Jean forgot about having it when she volunteered for helping," Kitty shied away from the glare Hope was giving her, and Hope instantly softened her look.

"It's alright, you and I can handle this," Hope said, looking back at Logan, "Thank you for your help, Mr. Logan, I know you're busy this afternoon."

"Any time," Logan walked towards the door, "Kid, make sure you do your homework." And he was gone, though Hope still glared at where he had been, before letting a little sigh escape.

"Kitty, before you start working, what exactly are your powers?" Hope turned towards the girl again, noticing how she looked around the room with a little astonished look.

"I walked through walls," She said, sticking her hand through a table and a pile of suture kits.

"Oh, you're a god send, Kitty, I've been having everything drop out of these top cabinets onto my head since I started this," Hope smiled and had Kitty smiling back. "Okay, let's get back to work." Hope turned back towards the cabinet and noticed that Kitty wasn't much taller than she was, "Kitty, do you know where a step stool is?"

"No, I don't," Kitty said, standing on her tip toes to reach through the cabinet door and pulled out a glass jar filled with cotton balls and thus started the prosperous up swing in the work. Hope let Kitty start the conversation, since Hope felt as though she had heard enough questions asked by her own voice.

"Do you like the Institute?" Kitty asked when the silence had dragged on for what seemed to be a long enough time.

"What I've seen of it," Hope said, carefully pulling down a tray of scalpels. "Everyone here is very welcoming. What about you, Kitty, do you enjoy it?"

"Yeah, this place is great," Kitty was shoulder deep in the cabinet, door closed. It was fascinating for Hope to watch, because Kitty could also pull objects through with her. It is transference of power, Hope thought, how does it work? "Why would you leave a hospital to work here?"

"Well, this is a very interesting experience," Hope mused, "I've got a lot of questions about medical treatment for mutants. Does morphine work the same? In some cases will the side effects of prescription medicine be changed?"

"Those are good questions, but why would you care, I mean no offense, but you're no like us," Kitty hesitate in saying it, and added a blush for an effect, causing Hope to laugh.

"I'm a doctor, first off, Kitty, and if I was still working at the hospital and a mutant came in, how could I treat them if I couldn't get an I.V. line in? Or if my surgical tools slipped through while I was trying to repair a torn spleen?"

"Ewe, how can you not be grossed out by all that blood and guts stuff?" Kitty shivered a bit and Hope laughed again.

"Because you getting covered and blood or guts isn't the worst thing I've been covered in," Hope said with a reminiscing smile, there was nothing like being a doctor.

"Sorry I'm late," Jean said as she came skidding into the room.

"It's alright Jean," Hope turned away from the cabinets, "Why don't you work on organizing the mess out here, while Kitty and I work on the mess still left in these cabinets." Hope sighed and cracked her knuckles, "Can either of you tell me who was in charge of organizing or running this place before I was hired?"

"I think it was Mr. Logan," Kitty said, looking towards Jean for confirmation.

"Yeah, I think that's right." Jean nodded in agreement.

"Do you get many injuries for this place to be like this?" Hope opened another cabinet and was met by a flood of bandages.

"Just minor stuff," Jean answered, levitating the bandages and organizing them.

"Minor enough for you to have a crash cart," Hope said, noting the diphibulator in the corner of the room.

"That's for Berserker, he sometimes stops his own heart," Jean commented, sending the machine a sideways glance.

"What?" Hope was stunned, that just shouldn't be humanly possible.

"He's got this electrical power, sometimes he over loads his own heart," Kitty said, "Mostly does it when he shows off."

"And you all know how to use the crash cart?" Hope thought this was going to be an interesting experience.

"No, Logan, Ororo and I do," Hank walked in, and Hope smiled, finally someone who can explain this, Hope thought.

"Hello, Hank, what can I do for you?" Hope asked, noticing that the hallway outside seemed to be in a furry of activity.

"Charles needs Kitty and Jean to suit up," Hank said, standing to the side as Jean and Kitty went racing out of the hospital wing.

"Hank what's going on?" Hope thundered, amazed that she had finally gotten both her helpers and now they were being whisked away, "I need their help!"

"Everything will be explained, Hope, I'm here to help you clear the beds and make sure you have everything you might need for multiple traumas." Hank said as he began to haul some of the medical papers off the three metal beds.

"What? Hank, you've got to give me more than just I should expect multiple traumas, okay?" Hope ordered, even though she was already helping the clear the beds. Hank walked over to the panel of buttons in the wall and pressed one. On the far blank wall a plasma screen TV appeared and turned on to the news channel. On it a man who looked to be or steroids was lifting cars and tossing them towards innocent bystanders.

"That would be Sabertooth, and he's the reason your helpers were borrowed."

~***~

Look, actual action! I know, I'm evil for leaving this here, but heck, I need to start on my German summer homework, so you can wait. Read and Review, my friends!