The Letter by bluegalx
Genre: Angst/Drama
Rating: PG (b/c it's dark)
Summary: After the events of "Impact" Rogue writes a letter to Kurt

The Letter

Rogue yelled and pushed the statue off the cliff. It fell to the ground and smashed into pieces.

It fell to the ground and smashed into pieces.

It fell to the ground and smashed into pieces.

It fell to the ground and...

Rogue woke with a start. She had been having that dream for a while now, the same scene reoccurring again and again. Rogue glanced at the clock *Three AM?!* she thought. Across the hall she heard what had woken her up. It was coming from Kurt’s bedroom, and it sounded like he was crying. Again.
Groaning, Rogue got up and walked to Kurt’s room. She put her ear to the door and listened. *He’s crying all right* Rogue thought. Sobbing was more like it, he had been since Mystique’s death.
“Kurt? Are you okay?” Rogue said, knocking softly on the door.
“Go avay!” Kurt shouted; just quiet enough as to not wake anyone up.
“Can I come in?” Rogue tried again.
“I told you to go avay!” Kurt shouted once more.
“Look Kurt, I’m sorry-”
“Vill you just leave me alone!” Kurt said in an angry tone, one Rogue had only heard him use once or twice before.
“Okay, okay, I’m goin’ already!” Rogue said and walked back to her room. She wished she could talk to him, but he hadn’t even let her near him since it had happened. Everyone else hadn’t been particularly nice to her either. Mystique wasn’t missed at all, of course, but no one liked to see Kurt, usually funny and cheerful, so miserable. The only way was to apologize, not just to make peace but because Rogue felt that she was truly sorry.

***

Dear Kurt,

I’m sorry. I don’t know what I was thinking when I did that, maybe I wasn’t thinking at all. I guess I just didn’t realize how much you loved her, and how much it would hurt you. You were right, I’m just like her. I thought I’d feel better when she was gone, but I don’t. In fact, I feel worse. Not just for you, but I think that maybe I’m even a little, well, sad that she’s gone. No matter how much she lied and used me, there were still very good times I had with her. I think, maybe, she really did love me. And I loved her. After all, she’s still my mother. Our mother. And Kurt, I just hope you’ll forgive me.

Rogue

Rogue looked at the letter she had just written. She hoped Kurt would read it, even if he wouldn’t listen to her when she tried to talk. She read through it a couple of times and thought about what she had said. Rogue sighed as she thought about Mystique. Everything Mystique had done to her, good or bad. Slowly, Rogue found her thoughts focusing on only the bad memories. All the lies, all the tricks. From her earliest memory to that night at the concert with “Risty”. Then she crumpled up the letter and threw it in the garbage.