Unseen Hero

Name: Miranda ‘Mira’ Powers
Codename: Prowler
Age: 14
Family: Tim Powers (father), Sarah Powers (mother)
Description: blonde hair with irregular brown streaks; Turquoise eyes; light skin.
Personality: Mira is a happy, sometimes ditzy young girl who will need a little bit of convincing before rushing into a battle. She is a sweet girl and always tries to look for the bright side of things.
Powers: invisibility
History: Mira has spent her life on the sunny beaches of California. Just before her power manifested, Mira’s family moved to Los Angeles. She now lives at the Xavier Institute.
Hobbies: Shopping, swimming, and hangin’ out with friends.

Italics are telepathy.

It was a rainy morning in southern California when Mira set off for school. She was excited and afraid all at the same time. She and her family had just moved into town and it was her first day at her new school. When she got on the bus she could feel the stares of the other kids. She walked to the back of the bus and took an empty seat.

Once at school Mira headed for her first class, P.E. After having changed into her gym clothes, Mira prepared to face her best sport, dodgeball. About halfway thru the game something really strange happened, Mira was just about to get hit when the boy holding the ball started looking around and saying, ‘‘where’d she go.’’ Mira just stood there, like her feet were frozen. ‘’Like, what is he doing?’’ Mira said to herself. ‘’Why didn’t he hit me? What’s going on?’’ All of her questions were soon answered when she realized that she could no longer see her hands. ‘’What’s happening to me!’’? Mira shreeked. She then made a bolt for the exit.

Meanwhile at the Xavier Institute, Professor Xavier is sitting in cerebro when a new mutant is detected. ‘’Hello. Who are you?’’ Prof. X said as cerebro started listing Mira’s stats. ‘’Name: Miranda Powers. Age: 13. Location: Los Angeles.’’ ‘’Jean, Can you come here please.’’ The Prof. Said to Jean using his telepathy. ‘’I’m on my way Professor.’’ Jean answered.


‘’So why did you call me, Professor?’’ Jean asked when she entered cerebro. ‘’Cerebro has just detected a new mutant in California.’’ The Professor replied. ‘’And you want me to go try to talk to her.’’ Jean said. ‘’Precisely.’’ He answered. ‘’Fine. I’ll go get the jet ready.’’ She replied. And with that they left for California.

As Professor Xavier and Jean headed twards Los Angeles, Mira had already made the 2- mile walk to her house. ‘’Why is this happening to me?’’ she muttered as she fished a house key out of her pocket and unlocked the front door. Once inside, she ran to her room and collapsed. ‘’How come I had to be a mutant.’’? Mira cried into her pillow.

She had been at home for a couple of hours when she heard a plane coming in low and fast. She ran to the window to see where it was going to land and saw it headed straight for her house. ‘’Like what’s going on
here?’’ Mira said fearfully. ‘’I’ve got to change back, but how?’’ she said as she saw the plane’s occupants exiting. “Maybe I just need to focus.’’ She thought. Mira gathered all of her will and focused as hard as she could. At first she didn’t feel any different, but then she felt a strange sensation come over her, like someone had sprinkled dust on her. As suddenly as it came, the sensation was gone and she was back to normal. “Now, to see who these visitors are.” Mira said as she headed downstairs to meet her guests.

While Mira was heading for the door, Professor Xavier and Jean Grey were already at the front door knocking.
“Coming.” Mira said as she unlocked and opened the door. “Hello. Can I help you?” Mira asked. “I should be asking you that, Mira.” The professor said. “Like how do you know my name, who are you?” Mira asked. “I am Professor Charles Xavier, I came to talk to you and your parents about your new gift. Are they here?” he said. “My dad isn’t awake yet, but I guess you can like wait for him to get up. Who are you?” she asked Jean. “I’m Jean Grey and I’m one of the Professor’s students. Now can we come in?” Jean said. “Sure, right this way.” Mira said as she showed them inside.

“My dad should be up any minute.” Mira said to her guests. “Now, like what did you mean when you said that Jean was one of your students, Prof. Xavier.” “Well Mira, Jean is one of a group of kids, who, like yourself, have special gifts. They all live at my institute in New York.” The professor explained. About half way thru the explanation Mira’s father came down the stairs. “Mira! What are you doing home from school? And who are these guys?” Her father said angrily. “Dad. I’m like so totally sorry for not calling, but I got scared, I’m a mutant.” Mira said with a shaky voice. “You’re a what!” her father responded. “She is a mutant, Mr. Powers.” Xavier replied. “And just who are you?” Mr. Powers yelled. “I am Professor Charles Xavier and I’m here to see if Mira would like to come with me to Bayville.” Prof. X said. “Yeah Dad. These people really want to help me. Can I please go with them?” Mira cut in. “I’ll have to talk to your mother about it first, but I don’t have a problem with it.” Mira’s dad replied. And so it was decided that Mira would be enrolled at The Xavier Institute for Gifted Children.

Chapter 2

As the Blackbird entered the hanger and landed, Mira started asking Jean all sorts of questions. “How many kids live here? Are they friendly? Are there any other adults?” “Slow down Mira. I’ll try to answer your questions.” Jean replied. “There are eleven kids counting Scott and myself, most of the people are friendly but avoid Rogue and Logan, and finally there are three other adult instructors.” “Wow.” Mira replied. “That’s a lot of information.” “Yeah, I know it is but you need to know this stuff.” Jean said. “Ah, here we are.” The professor said. “Okay Professor, we’re moving.” Jean replied.

A few minutes later the girls and the professor were in the common room for basic introductions. “Everyone. I’d like you all to meet Mira Powers, who has agreed to enroll here at the institute.” The professor said as cheers erupted in the background. “Are you sure that I’ll fit in here Professor?” Mira asked. “Don’t worry, Mira, I’m sure you’ll fit in here just fine.” The professor said as Kitty ran to meet the new girl. “Hi! It’s so totally cool to meet you!” “It’s like nice to meet you two. Who are you?” “Oh, sorry. My name’s Kitty, Kitty Pryde.” “Well it’s good to see you Kitty.” “Professor, ya brought in anotha one!” Rogue said unhappily. “Rogue!” Kitty said. “What?” Rogue replied. “Try to be nice Rogue, she just got here.” Jean said disapprovingly. “Ah am not puttin’ up with anotha roommate that’s gonna keep meh up ‘til midnigh’ talking to her boyfriend!” Rogue shouted. “Is it just me or has she been more irritable lately.” Scott asked Kurt. “She has been angrier lately.” Kurt said. “Rogue,” Professor X said calmly, “I can assure you that, for the moment, you will have your room to yourself.” “Thanks Professa.” Rogue said as she left the room. “Now I know why to avoid her.” Mira said. “That’s not the only reason.” Jean replied. “Yeah. Rogue’s power is that when she touches someone she absorbs their memories, physical abilities, and their powers.” Kitty said. “Freaky!” Mira said. “And that’s not all,” Jean said, “when she absorbs you, she usually will send you into a coma for a few hours.” “Well, she can control it, right?” Mira asked. “Actually no, she can’t.” Kitty said. “That’s why you’ll always see her wearing gloves.” “Wow, I never knew that there were any uncontrollable powers.” Mira said. “Well, it’s not uncontrollable, we just don’t know how to.” Jean replied. “Oh.” Mira said.

“You’ll love it here.” Jean said. “Yeah Mira, and you’ll be rooming with me.” Kitty said. “Why was Rogue all angry about my being here?” Mira asked. “We used to share a room,” Kitty explained, “She didn’t like me staying up late to talk to Lance on the phone.” “Does Rogue like, get along with anyone?” Mira asked. “Well, Kurt is her younger brother and they get along okay for a couple of siblings.” Jean said. “She also seems to talk to Logan a lot.” “But Logan’s an adult.” Mira said. “It’s not like that!” Kitty said. “Yes, Logan’s more like a father to her.” Jean said. “Oh.” Mira replied. “Does she have a boyfriend?” “No.” Jean said. “That’s highly debatable.” Kitty said. “How so?” Mira asked. “She really likes one of Magneto’s new guys, Gambit.” Kitty explained. “That may be,” Jean replied, “but do you really think that Rogue would date the enemy?” “Well I never thought that I would end up with one of the Brotherhood, until I got to know Lance better.” Kitty said in return. “You mean that there are mutants we have to fight?” Mira asked. “Yes, but not all of them are really bad.” Jean said. “Colossus is really a sweet guy, he was just trying to help his family.” Kitty replied. “So, do I like, get to train with you two?” Mira asked. “No,” Jean answered, “you will be training with the other new recruits.” “Who are they?” Mira asked. “We’ll tell you tomorrow, when they’re all around.” Kitty said. “Right now I think you and Rogue should try to talk again.” “But I think you should get used to Logan first.” Jean said. “Okay.” Mira replied. “So, is there a mall anywhere close?” “As a matter of fact there is.” Jean said. “Yeah! Let’s go shopping!” Kitty squealed as jean ran to get her car keys. “Like, do you think any of the other girls wanna come?” Mira asked. “Well, I think we can count Rogue out, but Amara and Tabitha would love to go with us.” Kitty said. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Mira shouted as the two girls tore down the hall in search of the other two female recruits.