The Next Wave part 1

It was one of those days when it was brutally hot and you prayed to the manufacturing gods thanking them for the invention of air-conditioning. Or you just did like most people and hit the beaches. Ironically enough that is where our story begins. On the beach…

Her name was Angelica Jones (aka Angel) but the back of her designer leather jacket she was 'Dark Angel." Well her story was a long one and meant to be told another time but it somehow led her here sitting on her custom Harley with her many, many piercings on this stretch of beach where only the rich kids go. A passing group sneered at her leather bikini top, torn plaid skirt, and fishnet stockings. She gave them a look that was equally as venomous. But the next thing she saw was enough to make her blush.

He was Vance Astrovik. Not quite the looks of a movie star but almost. There he was in his khaki slacks and white shirt with the sleeves of a mini-sweater tied around its collar. And she couldn't tear her eyes away. And then he saw her too. He smiled at her. How was she supposed to keep up with her tough image if every time he came near she turned into a silly love struck girl? She slid off her motorcycle and walked up to him.

"Hey Angel. You talked to Banner lately?"

"Yeah. He told me to come out here and meet him here. I mean why else would I be out here with all these snobs?"

"To see me," he said, wrapping his arm around her. She rolled her eyes. "Or maybe it's because deep down you know you are one of these rich snobs. And you're in denial wearing all this punk attire thinking it makes you different."

"Whatever."

But Angel was by far not the strangest looking person on the beach that day. Another girl standing on the dock wearing a purple cloak scanned the crowd for them. Catching sight of the couple she waved vigorously trying to get their attention.

"Look its Janet. And she's dressed like an elf again," Angel said.

Vance laughed. "Yes that girl is defiantly a free spirit."

"I'd call her a freak," Angel retorted. Vance raised an eyebrow and gave her the once over. "Shut up," she protested.

Janet unhooked the boat from the dock as Angel and Vance drew closer. She jumped on.

There were four other people on the boat. Dr. Banner and his girlfriend Betty Ross; they taught at the same college and weren't supposed to date therefore keeping the forbidden affair a secret that everyone on campus that had half a brain knew already. This, however, did not include the Dean. The other two were kids that Janet had not met, a boy and a girl. Angel and Vance climbed on. Banner turned around and looked at the six of them. "Okay, boys and girls. This is Jenny Walters, my niece and Ricky Jones, the son of a good friend of mine. Both of whom I got tricked into watching this weekend."

"Babysitting," Angel said. She burst into laughter. The kids turned red and Jenny, in particular, looked ready to cry.

"It's not babysitting. It's watching," Banner said again, but Angel didn't stop laughing and Jenny did in fact begin to cry. However, that wouldn't be the first time she did on this boat trip.

"What's that," Ricky asked pointing to a strange looking object on the boat floor.

"Oxygen tank," Betty told him.

"Cool! We're going scuba-diving?"

"Not today," Banner said. Ricky scowled and got his gameboy out. Two hours passed and a few miles were between them and the shore. The boat was now anchored. Angel and Betty were now arguing about something. Jenny had developed a crush on Vance and was now staring dreamily at him, while he looked very nervous. Ricky was playing his game boy and listening to his walkman, oblivious to all that was going on around him. Janet and Banner were scouring the horizon and everything between with binoculars. Banner looked at his watch and sighed. Janet glared at him.

The boat suddenly rocked as though something from the water was trying to get in. Three of them: Janet, Betty and Banner seemed not in the least to be alarmed by this. Ricky still didn't notice, until Jenny screamed that is. He just gave her a dirty look and went back to his game. Angel, freaking out just a little, started creeping closer to the side of the boat. She peered over.

"What is it," someone whispered.

"I don't see anything," she said. She stared into the water for a few more minutes. Just as she was turning away, something leapt from the water and pulled her in with it. Jenny screamed again. So did Angel.

Written by: Rogue_Halfling and Chicago. We don't own these characters, We're just having fun.