A.N: Funtime, this whole fic thing, but I’ve got a hankering to rewrite whatI’ve got done, so, *clears throat* Welcome one and all to the reworked, revamped,re-everything, A New Hope! *raucous fan fair* So sit back and enjoy this new andhopefully improved version. Also read and review! I command it!

 

~***~

A New Hope

By: Lily Handle

 

Dr. Hope Chandler was late, again. It was the third time this week she had friedher system taking the late shift at the trauma center at Charity Hospital. Nowthe Chief of Staff, Dr. Monroe, had figured that Hope should work mornings to keep her fromkilling herself with the evening shift. Hope was hastily pulling on an old pairof jeans, two sizes too large, and a Yankees jersey over the gray tee-shirt,Hope would change into scrubs when she got to Charity. Running a hand through the mass of shoulderlength brown hair Hope opened the door to her apartment to a man pausing tostare down at Hope, who stared back. The man was only about an inch or so tallerthan Hope, with black hair and startled brown eyes. The wolf-like features of the stranger madeHope a little nervous, but her desperate need to get to work on time hadHope’s startled look changing to one of deep impatience. “Can I helpyou?” She asked briskly, drumming her fingers on the doorway.

 

“Um,” The man turned away from Hope and looked down the hallway. Curious Hope stuckher own head out the door to see what the man could be looking for. Another manin a wheel chair was making his way down the hall from the elevator, behind him a third man in a large trench coat walked hunched over.

 

“I’m sorry,” Hope said, looking up at the man whohad almost knocked on her door, “I’m running late and I do not have the time to listen to your cause.” Hopereached into her purse and came up with a twenty, “so whatever you arecollecting money for, here you are.” She held the twenty out to the man, who looked down at Hope like a deer in theheadlights.

 

“Ms. Chandler, please forgive us for delaying you, but if youcan spare us a moment of your time,” The man in the wheel chair said, stopping next to the baffled black haired man.

 

“Sirs, I really, really do not have the time for this,I’m excessively late for work and you are making me later.” Hope drummed her fingers and one foot tapped, she knew there was no way not toavoid the long lecture from Dr. Monroe now.

 

“Then, Ms. Chandler, may we schedule a meeting for a time totalk with you?” The man in the trench coat asked, his voice oddly familiar toHope. 

 

“Do I know you sir?” Hope asked, stopping the drumming andtrying to study the face hidden under the brim of a fedora hat. Hope’s eyes found the placement and color of the eyes a little disturbing. There wasa few medical conditions that could cause yellow as the iris color, but having the entire surface of the eye yellow was unheard of, and the vertical slitlike pupil was highly unlikely.

 

“Back in college I was your temporary tutor for Biology,”the smile was fanged but it didn’t have Hope jumping back in fear.

 

“Hank?” Hope asked hopefully, studying the form in thetrench coat. “But what happened?” she asked when he nodded.

 

“My genes advanced, now how about you invite us in, and wecan discuss why my associates and I are here?” Hope had always remembered that Hank had always been reasonable, she steppedaside and let the three men in, closing the door without a clue about what wasgoing on.

 

“If you excuse me for a minute, I have to call in to work andexplain why I’m so horribly late,” Hope quickly explained thesituation to head nurse, Lorry Kim, and hung up with a sigh. Turning back to her guest Hopeflash a expectant smile at them. “So, Hank,….” Hope had been about to ask about who Hank had brought with him, but seeing Hankthrew her. While he was dressed in normal street clothes the place were paleskin should have been was blue fur, and he was more ape like than human.

 

Homo Superior, I believeis the medical term that you are looking for, Hope,” Hank kept his voice calm and he had a slight smile on his lips.

 

“But, Hank I thought it wasn’t overtly physical,”Hope pulled a chair out for herself to study her college friend.

 

“It wasn’t, but time changes all things, doesn’t Hope?” Hank peaked one eyebrow and Hope nodded. “I hope you aren’t in to much trouble for our appearance?”

 

“No, no, everything will be taken care of, but what has brought youhere, with your companions?”

 

“Logan, and Charles Xavier, the latter unknown to you, but I do thinkyou know Mr. Xavier.”

 

“Yes, he’s made many generous donations to Charity.It’s an honor to meet you in person Mr. Xavier, if I had known you wanted to speakwith me I would have cleared my schedule,” Hope said, a bit surprised. Here was a man wealthy enough to add a burn unitand helicopter to Charity and have it look like pocket change.

 

“I’ve been interested in meeting you, Doctor,” That surprised Hope, no one especially someone like Charles Xavier, knew whoshe was, much less wanted to meet her. “I’ve read some of yourtheories of the X gene, you have some very unique ideas.”

 

“Oh,” Hope felt a blush seeping into her cheeks, “Thoseidea aren’t taken very seriously by my fellow Doctors. They’re just theories anyway,” Hope waved a hand dismissively. Her ideas hadpractically gotten her laughed out of every medical journal she had tried to get the work published in. Finally the newest and most controversialmedical journal published the ideas, and Hope was still getting hate mail.

 

“I would like to differ with that opinion, Dr. Chandler, yourideas are very interesting and I would like to offer you the chance to work on more complete theories,” Hope knew shelooked stunned, but didn’t care. The few HomoSuperiors she had talked to had remained anonymous, backlashfrom being a known ‘mutant’ as the public called those with a simple genetic difference wasenough to be life threatening.

 

“Sir, I mean no disrespect, but most with the X gene preferto keep their powers a secret, and getting a large group is dangerous. Idon’t see what you’re offering here.”

 

“I run the Xavier Institute for gifted children,” Hopenodded, this face was well known to the public, “Of course you know about the public front of the Institute.”

 

“Front?” Hope questioned, looking between Hank and Charles Xavier,ignoring the silent Logan.

 

“I teach children with the X gene to control their powers, Ialso make special cases for some gifted adults.” Charles sent her a steady look and Hope felt herself squirm inside. She wasfascinated with the X gene because of it’s relation to herself. “Iwould be greatly honor if you would continue your work on the X gene at myInstitute.”

 

“What?” Hope felt her jaw drop to the floor of the room,surprised at the offer, “You would allow me to work on my theories on yourstudents?”

 

“They are not lab rats, Dr. Chandler,” Charles said atHope’s choice of words, “But you would be allow to interview and observe the students there, if you havetheir permission.”

 

“Sir, I don’t know what to say, I mean this is a oncein a life time chance, but I just can’t leave Charity, they need everydoctor they have on staff and leaving them would cause a mass of trouble, but” Hope trailed off, realizing she was rambling it was just so exciting, the ideathat Hope could observe the X gene and talk with those who lived with it, itcould turn her theories into excepted medical knowledge. Lord, Hope had a lot to think about. She jumpedwhen her beeper went off and she gave her guest a embarrassed chuckle. Thebeeper read out said she was desperately needed in the trauma center, and if shedidn’t get over here soon she’s probably lose her job.

 

“Mr. Xavier, I have to rush to the hospital, but I would liketo discuss this more,” Hope said, scrambling to gather her id and car keys.“Try back here in the evening, I don’t work the late shift anymore, andthat would be a better time, forgive, but you’ll have to show yourselvesout.” And out the door Hope went running, calling into Charity to tell them she wason her way and hold on to her position as a resident.

 

“Well, she certainly has changed since college,” Hank commented asthey left the Doctor’s apartment.

 

“She’ll fit in rather well at the Institute, don’t youthink so Logan?” Charles asked.

 

“Too high strung.” Logan said.

 

~***~

 

Well, it’s not the piece of writing that’s goingto change the world, but heck, why not? *ducks the mass of tomatos that are flying towards her* Never mind. Heyread and review and enjoy!