Chapter 4

It was cold and wet and nasty. Angel so did not want to be here. But somehow she always ended up gathering information on days like this. “Why me? Why not Janet? You’d think Banner would want to get rid of that little tree-hugging freak whining about how evil the things he does are. Besides what is she good for? All she can do is turn into a freakin’ fairy! Stephen King wrote a book about a girl like me! I’m Charlie McGee for god’s sake,” she ranted. Her little diatribe received a few confused looks. Some people began to back away.

But Jean didn’t even notice despite that they were standing next to each other. No, she was too accustomed to hearing similar speeches among her fellow X-men. Today, even she was feeling the weather. It was late in the day anyway and the wierdos would be coming out. She didn’t want to get mixed up in all of that.

However, depending on how you want to look at it some other people were having better or worse luck. The person in question was Tyrone Johnson. Or it could have been Johnny himself.

The problem with this little stretch of New York is that no one really cares or even notices if you pass out on the street. Unless of course they wanted to steal your wallet and that was exactly Tyrone’s intention. He reached into Johnny’s pocket and grabbed the wallet. Johnny’s eyes flew open and his hand closed around Tyrone’s wrist.

“Hey man. Let me go. I was just trying to find out who you are,” Tyrone said trying to weasel his way out of this.

“Yeah right, you’re just a regular good Samaritan. And you just happened to walk by. Tell me another one, why don’t you,” Johnny snapped rising to his feet.

“I said let me go!” Tyrone snatched his wrist from Johnny’s grip, dropping the wallet in the process. He turned and ran the other way. Johnny glared at him as he slowly vanished from sight. Rage boiled up inside of him and he felt as though he would like nothing more than to make this man suffer for what he had tried to do.

* * *

Angel immediately regretted returning to Banner’s lab. For one thing, Betty Ross was sitting on one of the cabinets dressed like a French maid. That would most definitely give her nightmares for a week. Another thing would have to be that Tony Stark, the man behind the entire team, could be heard yelling through the telephone.

“I DID NOT SPEND FIVE BILLION DOLLARS ORGANIZING THESE KIDS JUST SO YOU COULD PARADE THEM AROUND IN FRONT OF CIVILIANS!”

“I know, Mr. Stark. I couldn’t get rid of Jenny or Ricky and besides Namor is the key. I had to go out and find him. If I could find out exactly what he is…”

“I DON’T THINK YOU DO UNDERSTAND! THIS IS MY LIFE ON THE LINE AND MY REPUTATION! PEOPLE DON’T CARE ABOUT WHAT YOU DO! THIS BETTER NOT GET OUT TO THE PUBLIC OR YOU WILL SUDDENLY FIND YOU SELF UNEMPLOYED. BUT BELIEVE ME I CAN DO WORSE!”

Angel heard the phone being slammed down on the other end of the line. For a moment, he found her self speechless. When she found her voice, she asked him, “Where are they?”

“Both of them are in the gymnasium with Tinkerbelle,” Betty replied. Banner said nothing, just rubbed his head as if trying to soothe a migraine.

“Cool. I’ll find Vance and get him to alter their memories. No worries,” Angel said cheerfully.

“What did you find out, though?”

“Nada. Just what everyone else knows. Sorry, send one of the others next time, if you want a better job,” she said hurrying out to avoid Betty’s wrath.

Vance was already ten steps ahead. He had already rendezvoused with Janet and took care of what had to be done, having obviously read Banner’s mind. But Angel was in a sprint to the college gym, when she ran into him. In the literal sense of the word. No harm done though. He caught her in his arms and swept her backward for a dramatic type kiss.

But night brought much dire things. And again the story focuses on Tyrone Johnson. The one who got away. He lamented over this. But you let him go so it’s all your fault, a nagging voice said inside him. He sighed and continued on his way. It wasn’t fair. This was not what he wanted. But being an underling of the famed Kingpin has its drawbacks. If he ever wanted to see her again. And now he was different from all the other boys. But what would become of her. A feeling of dread mingled with terror and loathing rose inside him. Insidious laughter seemed to surround him. It was even coming from the sewers below. He let his molecules slip before he turned to look around. All he needed was one glance at his would be attacker to know he better get out of there. He held his shape for a few more seconds, frozen by fear and curiosity, of all things. Then he quite literally melted into the shadows. Before leaving the last thing he heard was a scream full of rage.

(Stephen King: You’re a god. If you ever happen to read this, please don’t hunt down and kill me.)

Note to readers: In case you haven’t figured it out already this is a mini-series based on X-men Evo/ The Avengers. Basically it is a spin-off. Anywho, these characters will be dealing with villains that are less or more than human. There will be demons, vampires and even the occasional mischievous deity. I also have to mention that any original characters will remain nameless and those characters who have names can be found somewhere in the Marvel Universe. Enjoy and flame if you feel it necessary. You can bug us all at rogue_halfling@yahoo.com

Written by: Cricket Tealeaf